• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CSS Tips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Harres12

Hey what tips do you guys reccommend for CSS. Such as using the AK and M4 etc. Spots on maps and walling spots. Any respones is fine.

There are many tips on the web. Straff, crouch, shoot straight, etc. When stafing (especially long distance), pause a split second before you shoot. This will make your shoot more accurate.

Hardware wise, I would recommend getting a good gaming mouse, keyboard and headphones.

Don't buy ammo. Only buy ammo for your primary weapon when you're below 20 rounds. This teaches you how to conserve ammo, time the shot, be more accurate, and be stealthier. Also, you end up becoming much better with the pistol and you leave empty weapons lying around ALL the time which totally ****es off opponents.

Luftwaffle said:
Don't buy ammo. Only buy ammo for your primary weapon when you're below 20 rounds. This teaches you how to conserve ammo, time the shot, be more accurate, and be stealthier. Also, you end up becoming much better with the pistol and you leave empty weapons lying around ALL the time which totally ****es off opponents.
I normally buy an extra clip for each, for just incase purposes.

I used to buy ammo, but I don't need it anymore. Less ammo is definitely better though, I just took it to an extreme to train myself. When you put limitations on yourself, you naturally work around them to get better. When you lift those limitations (finding a virgin colt/ak - 120 bullets), you become a LOT more powerful.

Another strategy I use is to only buy the DE and armor. My friend told me to do this years ago and it made me a better player. By constantly being outgunned by rifles and smgs, I was forced to become more accurate and craftier with a DE. Also, it's a fairly strong weapon for the money since a headshot is almost invariably an instant kill. The main problem I have is snipers and against crowds, but you can walk around snipers most of the time and they have a hard time hitting you since you walk slightly faster than everyone else using colts/aks. Crowds are tough. I need cover in order to handle a crowd and an exit route in case I get swarmed. If you use cover correctly and vary your peek pattern, it's not too hard to pick off people one at a time with the DE and reduce the size of the crowd.

WarriorII said:
Don't get shot.

LoL!

Use knife to rush, u always run quicker with knife. :attn:

Stealth is a good tactic, dont let ur enemy know ur location.
Fire on burst, usually 2-3 fires, dat way u can reduce ur recoil.
Dont try to be Ramboo n attack the whole opposing team by urself.
Other than that, the game sometimes can be a BS.

don't run with your knife, the speed is the same as running with your pistol out. you definitely don't want to be caught by an enemy running with your knife out.

if you're using a sniper rifle and you want to un-scope, switch to your pistol then quickly back to your main gun. it's much faster than having to zoom in again before you can un-scope.

you can make your crosshair smaller which makes it easier to get headshots by typing " cl_crosshairscale 10000" in the console. I use 10,000, you don't have to, though. The smaller crosshair doesn't change the way the gun sprays, however. also you should probably use a color other than the default yellow for your crosshair color since it's the same color as a lot of the maps.

Last edited:
Some pretty good tips here...I recommend playing in deathmatch servers and just kill kill kill. When you get back to a regular server you will dominate. At least I do...but I'm a FPS headshot master lol

The problem with deathmatch servers is that they only help you learn how to aim. It doesn't teach you how to strategize, predict or counter-rush. The reason I play CS is because I dislike deathmatch style games.

Get good at tactics !!! Tactics is all Im really good at. Most of the time I just do the exact opposite of what the enemy thinks I would do. For example, if three enemies rush one hall everytime, Ill rush right into them at that hall. Most of the time when you do things like that, you catch the people off guard so bad that you can kill them with ease.

Also, another good CSS tip - Dont buy or use a mic (LAME !!!) and dont talk sh** when you loose :)

WaTTz said:
Also, another good CSS tip - Dont buy or use a mic (LAME !!!) and dont talk sh** when you loose :)
I think you're missing the whole point of CS. :p

Seriously, about the mic, it's useful for giving commands or giving enemy position and rush information. I tend not to use it though because I dislike the radio chatter and listening to 14 year olds singing Fallout Boy songs. It also somewhat helps if you don't pay attention to the text chat while you're playing. I usually just play my way and follow the team when they need it or break off and go solo when I think they can handle a situation.

WaTTz said:
Also, another good CSS tip - Dont buy or use a mic (LAME !!!)
... What? If one wants to be a successful CS player a mic is almost required.. Personally I don't use the in-game voice system and I have everyone muted on startup because 90% of the time they're all annoying little kids, but I use my mic on ventrilo with my clan. There's really no way to be an organized team in this game without a mic unless everyone just starts typing in the middle of a battle.

Anyway, as for the original question, if you want to be good with the AK and M4, then do 1-3 shot bursts. Don't just hold the button down (this is called spraying). If you do spray at them for whatever reason and you're at about say, 20 feet or so, then aim at their feet or the ground right below them.

And finally, the game is 100x funner if you don't get mad when you die :)

Last edited:
This makes me want to play CSS again. I'll have to try that smaller cross-hair console command. :thup:

Haven't been able to though due to some sort of connection issue. Need to narrow it down to either the router WRT54G or the cable modem / cable company blocking some of that stuff.

I can find servers just fine, but upon trying to connect, the server latency or my latency (not sure which) jumps to over 1000 on a server that pings at 30/40. I was able to connect to a bot server just fine, and game play was fine the entire time. Other connections just time out.

I recommend practicing with pistols only, at least for a while. It really teaches you to aim. Even better if you use the deagle as the pistol, you still have good range and consistent 1 headshot kills.

also play on a server with tons of people, you get to shoot a lot ;)

69.9.36.4:27015

Back