• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ghetto tec drink cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ilikepie

So i was bored and decided to make a cooler for my drinks. I went online and saw this but at 40$ that was way too much. I realized how easy it would be to make one my self even though i have no experience with tecs. So i went on ebay and got this this (first ebay purchase :p) I forgot to take pics when mounting it to the heatsink but all i did was spread some as5 and put some rubber cement along the edge of the tec. Next i wired the tec to the 12v molex. I also had no coldplate so i used the bottom of a altoids tin. It works suprisingly well ice forms on the bottom in seconds. Im actually using water as the tim between the tec and the tin. Ill use as5 and some glue later but the water works great as a tim and glue whem it freezes.

The heatsink

Tec mounted on the heatsink

Frosty!

Ice Forming

Water bath thing

Now to wait

Update!

Its been in for about an hour and its pretty darn cold but it still can be colder. Its coldest at the bottom where the water is. Im gonna get a soup can instead of the altoids tin for more contact with the soda can. And that fresca stuff tastes horrible. Its kinda like a bootleg sprite with a weird after taste

hahahaha "bootleg sprite" thats funny...i remember last summer i was gettin drunk with this girl and she had her vodka in an empty can of fresca....good story...back on topic: this looks NEATO! i want one...im thinking of trying to make something like this...just another project i am delaying until the end of school (41 days)

I've seen a USB drink cooler but apparently it didn't work well in a test. Because the bottom of the can is curved in, the cooler didn't have very good contact with the can so it didn't really cool it at all. They were saying they figured if you put it in a glass that it would cool it much more, maybe you should try that and put the soda in a cup and it might get cooler.

*Reaches for soda*

Cool idea dude. Glad I saw this while eating lunch. ;)

What you need is a soft foamy material that conforms to any shape that's pressed into it. Unfortunaly everything that comes to mind insulates as well.

idea: how bout you take a metal cup from a camping set or something like this
8208d.jpg
, put a few of those thermal heating/cooling thingys on the bottom, glue a metal tube a little bit bigger than the size of the can inside, fill the cup with water, turn your cooling pads on and slide your can of soda into the metal tube and watch the water freeze and presto!!!: ice...that doesnt melt! god im a genius...

P.S. this may just be another pipe dream of mine...and i am no way claiming that it works in real life (just in my head)

Well i got a new container for my soda can but my camera is broken. Its a tube-tin thingy from this cylindrical pastry thing. But the bottom had those damn ridges too so i used a can opener and took the bottom off. So now the top is the bottom and the bottom is the top The cover of the tin is now the coldplate. I used teflon tape and rubber cement to seal it. It hasnt leaked yet. It cools my drink in about 45 minutes. If i dont find anything better ill get some insulation for the tin and use some glue to attach it to the tec

Tebore said:
This gives me an idea to create chilled or heated cup holders in my car.

This would be soooo sweet for those long trips.

When I saw the flash preview on Dodge's website for the new Caliber I thought it had those. :beer: But they turned out to be just lights. :p

Lol, I tried this once with a 36w TEC, I actually used a copper cold plate then just set the can ontop, it took a few hours to even get it chilled though. I have a 226W TEC laying around I should try this with;)

Jon

damarble said:
*Reaches for soda*

Cool idea dude. Glad I saw this while eating lunch. ;)

What you need is a soft foamy material that conforms to any shape that's pressed into it. Unfortunaly everything that comes to mind insulates as well.

you could find some of that wool made out of metal, copper would be your best bet but its hard to find. other metals could work too.
just glue a blob of that to the metal contact surface with as5 epoxy and put the soda can over it so it fills the curve at the bottom.

Back