• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which processor for better times?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godfodda

If IE will quit screwing up for a couple of minutes, I might get this posted. :)

I just put my 866 back in and haven't had enough time to answer this myself, so I'm posing it to anyone who may know: which OC will give me better WU times?

1100 @ 1310 (119FSB, RAM @ 119 CAS2), or
866 @ 1118 (172 FSB, RAM @ 129 CAS3).

I would imagine the first one. 10MHz difference in memory speed should be negated by it running at CAS2. More MHz on the processor is always a plus as long as you're comparing two processors with identical L2 cache onboard.

Jon said:
I would imagine the first one. 10MHz difference in memory speed should be negated by it running at CAS2. More MHz on the processor is always a plus as long as you're comparing two processors with identical L2 cache onboard.

They are both P3 so both have 256k L2. I wasn't sure if higher FSB would benefit the processing time. I'm still gonna leave it in for a couple of days to see how high I can push it. :)

Godfodda said:

They are both P3 so both have 256k L2. I wasn't sure if higher FSB would benefit the processing time.

The extra FSB would only really help if the memory were running at that speed as well. Since it's not, you want the maximum processor speed and memory timings you can get, which would be the 1.31MHz and 119MHz CAS2.

Back