• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this possible, dual core go back to single core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

minh

Registered
Hi gusy, is it possible to have single core cpu sytem goes to dual core then back to single core? my situation is i currently have venice 3200, now i have a opteron 165 from my brother on-th-work system. I am tempted to install this baby and test it out, but later on i need to pull it out and put back my venice 3200.

will there be any problem of doing what i want to do? or is it as easy as 1 2 3?

thank you all.

For windows to see the second core a reinstall will be needed. I know someone said there was something you could change for it to see the second one. When i tried it with a HT P4 (fake second core). the only way i could get it to see the second one was with a windows reinstall. you will want to reset your cmos though when installing any new cpu.

Evilsizer, thank you for your prompt reply. i read some post on this board saying that some do need to reinstall windows and some don't. i guest it depends on your system. some post suggest that install the dual cpu, turn computer on and reboot for windows to see the second cpu. i wonder if the thing happs when you go from dual to single core?

so tempted ...... to try :burn: :burn: :burn:

thank you very much for your feedback ....

i found what they are talking about...
in windows-XP after its booted up.
go into your SYSTEM PROPRETIES
then go into the ADVANCED tab
at the bottom click on ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
when that comes up you want to look in bottom box.
look for the line that says NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS
highlight that line then click edit and the change to 2.
restart and you should be good to go.
do the same thing but change it back to 1 once you put your other cpu back in since its not dual core. better to change it before you take out the dual core.
GL

thanks again, Evilsizer

i pop the 165 in the system and it works fine. very nice stuff!

Yuriman said:
I just uninstalled my processor driver, rebooted with the X2 in, and it did the rest on it's own.
never knew that... welp learned something new...

I would not have thought of that but it makes sense. So much so that I am a bit embarrased to admit I would not have thought of it.

Yuriman said:
I just uninstalled my processor driver, rebooted with the X2 in, and it did the rest on it's own.

Im not up on how borked XP is..

did you go in safe mode and check your drivers to make sure only one of the two was present after doing this? (thinking it may gost the single core driver in the process, MS used to be exellent at this ;) )

gosted drivers wouldnt appear to make the OS work incorectly.. and truthfully, gosted drivers would just be extra baggage nothing that would make the computer work diffently. just wondering if they were there.. thats all..
so.. I just wondered if you looked.. and the answer would be yes or no.. But, if you did and just thats how your saying that you did, then ok..

Yuriman said:
Yea, I looked. Everything is right. :p

I have done allot of testing back and forth, it's works fine automaticlay. The driver loads the first time, then xp turns it on and off when you switch.

I did a lot of testing back with the HT cpu's going from Single Core to the fake 2 core in and out of windows all it changes is one .dll (the hal.dll if not mistaken) once you know that you can acutally swap them out with each other before the boot into windows :)

Back