• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVDShrink crashing....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boris_37

okay i posted on the dvd shrink website but so far i have had no replies.

ANYWAYs. i recently reformatted my pc and now i cant rip dvds properly. I'm not sure why.... i "open" the dvd with dvd shrink, then hit backup then all hell breaks loose, it freezes and crashes.

Everything is almost the same on my pc so i dunno what it could be.

I have tried reinstalling dvd shrink, but nothin has helped so far. I also downloaded another program, ripped to hard drive, opened with dvd shrink, still crashes.

Anyone had this issue before? I would update firmware but the lite on site is whacky and doesn't have my exact dvd burner listed anywhere on there... so im unsure of which firmware to download. Either which way, it wasn't updated before but dvd shrink ran fine.

I cannot rip any dvd also, so it's not just one single one.

ANY IDEAS?!?!? im so upset right now *cries* boohoo

Why did you do a reinstall? Is it possible that the install is corrupt and some windows files are bad?

To acess your firmware and review more updated firmware go herre. Look under utilities to identify your current firmware and to be sure that you get the correct firmware to update.

No i reinstalled cause my msn was whacking out, programs weren't functioning correctly, so before i know some windows files were corrupt. Instead of just repairing over and leaving lots of junk of the pc i formatted. Now however it runs 100%

I'm at work right now but i will post back with firmware.

Im using Nero 6(i think) that i got with my burner.

my burner is a.... lite on SMH-165 something or other. i can't remember, once again, at work.

I am also using the most up to date DVDShrink i could find. I don't know i used DVDfab to rip to my hard drive and then opened the files to shrink it but i was still getting crashing even through there....

Does dvdshrink use nero DIRECTLY when i issue the backup? If so it might just be nero 6 sucks a wad and i can try finding an older nero to test if its working.

Either way i read that thingey and so far it's just telling me to use other programs(which i have done) and its still not working. I will give it a more detailed look through when i get home.

Thanks guys... i got a bunch of movies i need backed up ASAP, so i hope I/we can get this fixed :D

no, its every dvd.... :p

okay drivers updated, still crashing on any dvd... ideas?

edit: okay wow fixed it... the dumbest solution EVAR....

I went to file/io menu and unchecked "burn with nero" and i am ripping fine again. So it all seems that nero is the problem with dvdshrink, not hardware or anything. BOOO NERO!

Last edited:
boris_37 said:
no, its every dvd.... :p

okay drivers updated, still crashing on any dvd... ideas?

edit: okay wow fixed it... the dumbest solution EVAR....

I went to file/io menu and unchecked "burn with nero" and i am ripping fine again. So it all seems that nero is the problem with dvdshrink, not hardware or anything. BOOO NERO!
Don't use Nero with DVD Shrink. Use either DVD Decryptor (old) or IMG Burn (new, the maker of DVD Decryptor)

i dont "use" it technically. It automatically has that in the program to use it. So i wasn't even aware that i was using nero with the program. Besides im just backing up which makes no sense why nero is needed :confused:

boris_37 said:
i dont "use" it technically. It automatically has that in the program to use it. So i wasn't even aware that i was using nero with the program. Besides im just backing up which makes no sense why nero is needed :confused:
wierd, I just checked mine and it also has burn with nero checked but I don't have any problems :shrug:

Hi ya boris
Just had a mate ring me about the same thing, the only thing he has done was update Nero to 6.6.14, he tells me b4 that it worked fine and yes it was using Nero,
Can you tell me if you had updated it by chance..?

Deanzo said:
Hi ya boris
Just had a mate ring me about the same thing, the only thing he has done was update Nero to 6.6.14, he tells me b4 that it worked fine and yes it was using Nero,
Can you tell me if you had updated it by chance..?
lol screw updating nero. If it wasn't such a big garbage heap i wouldn't have a problem with it. As before i just unchecked and it worked fine...

It's just so flustering to try and understand why im not even going to use nero to backup and it's crashing, totally has me confused. Either way it was grabbing something from nero that wasn't working properly and kept crashing.

Uh... did he get his working though?

Yes and no...
To try and help him Ive just installed it (obviously not a big user) now he said it works but wont cut to disk ? So I have tried it with it checked or unchecked, mine work fine checked and yes unchecked it only saves to hard disc (stands to reason). So I can help him out how does he burn it to DVD disc using DVD Shrink or does he have to close that and use something else

It is the latest version of nero. You will have to use the nero clean tool and find 6.6.0.18 and install it. Remember to save your serial #. That version still works with DVDShrink.

Back