• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus or ePox for s939?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Piazza0028

Originally I was planning on going with the dfi ultra-d but after much contemplation I decided that I didn't want to have to deal with its intracacies. From what I've read the new EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra and the Asus A8N are the best alternatives. Which do you guys recommend and which of the A8N would I need for pretty basic computing and some mild gaming?

There is a new Epox based on a Uli chipset, the EPOX EP-9U1697GLI-J GLI (ULi 1697), it supports SLI (with a different name), and the review I saw seemed to suggest that it was a match for the NF4 Ultra, but a bit cheaper.

Best bang for the $ are Asrock Dual SataII (ULi1695) $67 retail, $38 refurbished.
Asrock-eSata (Uli 1697, 1697) for $82. This board has 2 best NB, and SB chipsets. IMO, Much better than NF4. The problem is you need Vmods for these 2 boards(eSata just vcore if rams below 2.85v). But if 20% overclocking you shouldn't need the mods.
The Epox EP-9U1697GLI, w/ "Single" ULi1697 chipset has better overclocking options than Asrock (no vmod needed) and ,IMO, is the best bang for $ @ $82.
No one has it yet, only based on anadtech Review

Asrock-eSata Review
Asrock Dual Sata Review

PC Perspective has a nice review of the EPoX 9U1697GLI. I would read both the AnandTech review that ochungry and the one I mentioned to get a good balance. Personally, I think the EPoX 9NPA+Ultra will do you very well. It is rock solid at stock settings (and is a good overclocker, too). They released the latest BIOS for this board on 4/27/06.

Back