• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question regarding overclocking my A64 3200+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nicorette

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I love this board and visited here quite often recently.(You guys posts have helped me alot. thank you) I'm now trying to squeeze out performance from my old athlon64 3200+(to play oblivion better) and so far managed to make it run at 2.5ghz which I'm very pleased with. My question is, performance wise, which is better, cpu run at slightly slower speed with higher ram clock(fsb 240/ddr 400) or current setup(250/358)? Thanks for your advice in advance and sorry for my poor English.

First of all :welcome: to the forums!

Performance could be very simmilar in both cases. You can try benchmarking on both settings, and see what gives you better score. ( few loops of 3dmark, superPi or some other benchmarks that you prefer. ) I would think that difference is so small you wont even notice it while playing Oblivion.
Remember while running RAM @ lower clock that you can also tighten your memory timings.

Thank you for your quick warm welcome Hamm3r, yes, I will try some benchmarking and see which scores better.(Sorry, I should've done that before posting this.)
Remember while running RAM @ lower clock that you can also tighten your memory timings
Oh, you are right. I was kind of overjoyed with the result and forgot about that completely. I will try tighter setting for memory. Thanks again, now I think I have enough things to keep me busy this weekend. Cheers:)

Nicorette said:
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I love this board and visited here quite often recently.(You guys posts have helped me alot. thank you) I'm now trying to squeeze out performance from my old athlon64 3200+(to play oblivion better) and so far managed to make it run at 2.5ghz which I'm very pleased with. My question is, performance wise, which is better, cpu run at slightly slower speed with higher ram clock(fsb 240/ddr 400) or current setup(250/358)? Thanks for your advice in advance and sorry for my poor English.

240/400 is better than 250/358 when it comes to gamming. If youre a gammer that wants to OC, the memory bandwidth tends to play a more productive role.

Ok, thank you very much addiarmadar1, I'll keep that in mind too from now on. I have somehow managed to make it run at 2.6ghz now and memory at 373, which I think isn't too bad, I think I'll stick to this setting for a while and see if anthing goes wrong. Thanks again, and have a nice weekend:)

in my experience overclocking has minimal effect on gameplay period. memory, also in my experience, mostly effects load times...not gameplay...and also, in my experience...ur gonna need a top of the line video card to play oblivion at higher settings and a top of the line sli settup to max the settings....

Back