• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ie Switching to Work Offline

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tunnel

Hey guys once again i turn to the people at oc forums. Lately my Ie Has been turning itself to work offline when i have a constant broadband connection. the only thing i think it may be is i am using wireless. thats the only thing i can think of. can any of u guys help me plz????

many regards

Tunnel

switch to Firefox or Opera and see if it still does that..plus they own ie..but if you reallly like ie try getting ie7 beta

Open the HOSTS file (located in %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc) with Notepad. The default HOSTS file looks like the following...

Code:
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost

Either modify your's accordingly, or post it up in this thread so if need be we can help you modify it.

right okay i cudnt find that file that you were on about and i have got firefox its jsut that when i go to log onto msn messenger it wont sign in becos ie is offline and its annoying having to switch it back on.

please give me the direct route for the file instead of windows>system .... etc

tunnel said:
right okay i cudnt find that file that you were on about and i have got firefox its jsut that when i go to log onto msn messenger it wont sign in becos ie is offline and its annoying having to switch it back on.

please give me the direct route for the file instead of windows>system .... etc
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

When ever MSN never works for me its always because my time is wrong :p

Also in IE go to File>Work offline and see if its ticked...

yer but im trying to resolve the issue by not having to go onto ie all the time. there is obv a prob with my ie. and another thing is my homepage keeps changing to about: blank. ive checked for spyware nothing.

any more suggestions. and that isnt the file path either.

tunnel said:
Please give me the direct route for the file instead of windows>system .... etc
I gave you the "direct route" to the file... %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc is the direct path to where the HOSTS file is normally located.
tunnel said:
Any more suggestions. and that isnt the file path either.
DigitalDude also gave you the direct path to the file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc (substituing C:\WINDOWS for %systemroot%, which is also correct). Instead of you telling us the path to the HOSTS file is wrong, perform a search on your system (in the root drectory) for any file w/ the HOSTS name... regardless of the extension. You might also want to mention which OS you're running, so we don't just automatically assume you're running XP... including the version of Messenger you're having problems with (I can only assume you're running the latest v 7.5).

I'm assuming that at one point you used MSN Messenger's built-in connection troubleshooter, or the troubleshooter started up automatically. When the troubleshooter opened, your installed hosts file was backed up to "hosts.msn". So when you perform your search, type in hosts.* into the "Search for files or folders" field. Also check in the registry (Start | Run | Type regedit, and click OK) under the following branch...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Services | Tcpip | Parameters

Right click on the DataBasePath String value, and select "Modify" | Check to make sure the Value data is... %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc

Last edited:
right sorry for my mis understanding ive found it there was no files in c://WINDOWS>system32. when i performed a search aswell nothing came up for host. so i had to copy and paste that %systemroute% thing in and that worked.

----------------------------------------------

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

Last edited:
Back