• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB ports go dead for no reason at all on K7VIA mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry

My sys specs:
550mhz Amd Slot A Athlon Classic @ 611mhz 111x5.5
Radeon SDR 64
Diamond Voodoo2
192mb ram (64x3) @133mhz
56k Aztec Modem (lucent chipset)
Delta 12x DvD rom
20gig 7200rpm ata 66 Western Digital
Mobo= SY-K7VIA with KX133 chipset w/sound
OS=Windows 2000 Pro.
4 4watt satelites
2 7 watts mini subs.
300watt HeroIchi PS

Mods small heatsink slapped on to KX133 chipset with fan from KT7Aa mobo ( but not same heatsink)

Problem:
I will be in the middle of a game or out of game in some other app like FP 2000 and all of the sudden the mouse will go dead. But the keyboard and everything else will work fine. The light on my Logitech optical USB mouse will go off as well. I have tried the other USB ports but they also do not work. I end up restarting my system to get them back on. I do not think that the 111mhz FSB is holding me back because I have had this system running at this speed and have not encountered this problem before, it started a week ago and has since become very annoying. epecialy in Tribes 2 when Im in the middle of an all out 1 on 1 fight. :mad: I do not want to use my PS/2 ports because I like using the usb because I can switch the mouse between this pc and a Mac ibook that I occasionaly bring home from school ( homework) without haveing to shut down my pc. Does anybody know what would be causeing this problem? I do not think it is Win2k as I have not made any changes over the past week.

thankyou and Laterz.

Isn't there a documented problem with USB ports malfunctioning on overclocked VIA chipsets?

I heard of this on the KT266, at least, on HardOCP... Couldn't say about the KX133, tho'. You might want to back off the FSB a wee bit...

Sang

Well why whould they start doing this all of the sudden when the chipset has been at this for like 4 weeks and this did not start till 1 week ago...but I will try and see what happens...

Have the case temps gone up? I'm just wondering if it is a problem with the chipset running hot?

I haven't had any problem with 2 of my oc'd rigs on usb, but the only one with aggressive fsb (150) has mouse on ps2 and usb used rarely.

My bro's logitech mouse does the same thing and you have to reboot the system to get it back. I've also heard other complaints about the logitech mouse doing this. I'll see if i can find the fix.

That would be great, well today I had my rig running at 109fsb and the mouse went out while i was carrying flag in Tribes 2 ( not fun when this happens) so it must be the mouse...im going to logitechs website and see if they have newer drivers.

There is a problem with USB ports and high fsb's, try going back to your spec fsb and the problem will probably go away, but if not then start looking at other options like perhaps a new mouse.

Back