• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i suspect something crippled norton

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rebelwarlock

today i ran a scan of my c: drive and there were no results. however, i have on my desktop an installer for remote administrator. in the past this was always caught by norton. also, last week i was trying to do a system restore and it failed. i haven't noticed anything else wrong with my system, but i'd like to be rid of whatever's wrong. any thoughts?

EDIT: i thought of one other abnormality. when i save or load a file, the dialog box that allows me to find the location displays strangely. the folders are not in alphabetical order, and they always have been in the past. sometimes this happens when i open a folder normally too.

today i ran a scan of my c: drive and there were no results. however, i have on my desktop an installer for remote administrator. in the past this was always caught by norton. also, last week i was trying to do a system restore and it failed. i haven't noticed anything else wrong with my system, but i'd like to be rid of whatever's wrong. any thoughts?
Could be you said "Ignore this file" one too many times and Norton really did start ignoring it on a permanent basis. Sounds like things are starting to get wonky in Windows-land.

Try using another virus-catching utility (AVG free comes to mind, TrendMicro Housecall too) and see if you get anything. Although it could be perfectly normal Windows abnormalities.

i tried with panda's online scan, and i came up with some stuff, but nothing that bad came up (cookies, some byte verifies). i suppose it could have been ignored permanently, even though it didn't show up in the exclusions list. how would i go about fixing the system restore though? this is the time of the month when i do backups (ghost image), and i don't really want to back up a problem. i'll end up restoring it if my hard drive crashes anytime this month and end up with the same problem.

rebelwarlock said:
i tried with panda's online scan, and i came up with some stuff, but nothing that bad came up (cookies, some byte verifies). i suppose it could have been ignored permanently, even though it didn't show up in the exclusions list. how would i go about fixing the system restore though? this is the time of the month when i do backups (ghost image), and i don't really want to back up a problem. i'll end up restoring it if my hard drive crashes anytime this month and end up with the same problem.
*arches his eybrow* I don't know much about system restore other than it seems to be a pretty good idea... You may want to check this out and check Google Groups as well (alt.os.winxp).

I don't suck either, by the way. :p

Captain Newbie said:
I don't suck either, by the way. :p

lol, my sig goes back to a while ago. just because you aren't on the list doesn't mean you suck, it's just that the people on the list are absolved from sucking :p

as far as system restore goes, i kind of figured i would have to do something like that. thanks for the help.

Back