• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ANOTHER Vista Delay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Newbie

Senior Django-loving Member
Three months this time, says Reuters.

Reuters said:
The research note, released to clients on Monday, said the new Windows Vista operating system is too complex to be able to meet Microsoft's targeted November release for volume license customers and January launch for retail consumers.

A Microsoft spokeswoman said the company disagreed with the Gartner report and it was still on track to meet its launch dates.

Vista is the first major overhaul of its operating system, which sits on 90 percent of the world's computers and accounts for nearly a third of Microsoft's total revenue, since Microsoft rolled out Windows XP nearly five years ago.

Microsoft originally targeted a 2005 launch for the new Windows, then pushed the release out to 2006 before announcing in March that Vista would again be delayed to improve the product's quality.

Gartner targets a Windows Vista release in the April-June quarter of 2007, nine to 12 months after Microsoft conducts a second major test, or "beta," release for Vista during the current quarter.
I'd be more inclined to believe Reuters/Gartner Inc. at this point, but...it's still officially rampant speculation. Here We Go Again!

Really getting sick of this pushing back. But I guess thats what happens when you set the bar too high. I mean, look at the changes from windows 98 to win2k: it took 16 months from their beta version to a final product. It was a drastic change. It only took about 5 months for XP. But vista is said to have a HUGE change, I can imagine they will have to delay.

Wow you guys come on now, you really want them to rush your OPERATING system? I'm glad they're pushing it back, I'm fine with XP, and DX9 games for now, and hopefully they'll be able to add some more features and work out as much of the bugs as possible.

twoeyes said:
Wow you guys come on now, you really want them to rush your OPERATING system? I'm glad they're pushing it back, I'm fine with XP, and DX9 games for now, and hopefully they'll be able to add some more features and work out as much of the bugs as possible.

it worth the wait for sure...i beta tested win2k and it was buggy as hell, i hope they learned from all of that...

Cheator said:
Really getting sick of this pushing back. But I guess thats what happens when you set the bar too high. I mean, look at the changes from windows 98 to win2k: it took 16 months from their beta version to a final product. It was a drastic change. It only took about 5 months for XP. But vista is said to have a HUGE change, I can imagine they will have to delay.
I guess I have a different approach to things than TPTB at Microsoft.

I would rather see incremental revisions to the operating system rolled into 'reference releases' every year or so, and each reference release could implement another Vista feature. (If you lived through the dotted-version hell of System 7 back in the day, you'd understand this. At present there's no good definitive way to determine just what version of Windows you're really running, since each hotfix is a small delta in the version...) That way, we could call it something that made slightly more sense. (Yes, I know SP2 incorporates all the cruft before its release date. Still. Rolling it all into one, once a year, would be really nice of them for people like me.)

Vista's awfully ambitious, as mentioned above -- and I know that Microsoft never meets their first, second, third, or fourth guess at release dates. Most companies don't either -- but when you're running 90% of the world's PCs you'd better have your act together, both development and management wise. An incremental approach to Vista would match what Apple's doing with OSX - 10.4 is only marginally different from 10.5, and so forth.

lets just say that it wont come out for another 5 years. then when it foes come out, everyone will be happy! (actually, it is windows......)

Ebola said:
I'm gonna believe MS on this one. They want to get it out to OEMs by Christmas.

Sorry, but no Vista by Christmas. Microsoft made that announcement to their Partners in April.

Their goal was to have Vista pre-installed on PC's that were purchased during the Christmas buying season, and hardware vendors were counting on this as a marketing tool to boost sales.

Target missed, reload, acquire new target, cross fingers and hope it fires next time.

With vista being postponed time after time i don't see why game developers can currently be writing for DX10 with any confidence. So, i'll stick with DX9. All the cool kids in town are doing it.

SuperDave1685 said:
Agreed! lol... I won't be switching for a while either... These setbacks just make me even more uneasy about Microsoft's whole business structure and their ambitions...
Yes. From the wild rumors/speculation from The Register and other sources, this is a management problem, not a development problem.

It would be nice if it was delayed by say 6-9 months, then we would definitely see DX10 for Win XP, and if they didn't do it, somebody might even code a good Open GL game (though not ID obviously). :D

Back