• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice on a wireless router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prettycoolguy47

I've recently moved, and am now requiring a wireless router. I'm really not to up to date with this stuff, that's why I'm throwing out to you guys. I'm in a 3 level townhome in which the cable comes into the lower level and I'll be moving my PC to the upper level. Not sure if you need that info but just in case. Thanks in advance!!!

So you are wondering if the signal will make it?

Personally, I don't think its a good idea to have it so far. Even if you do get connected you might end up settling for 24 mbps or even 11 mbps. However, what I have done in the past is bought high gain antennaes. That would help, but I'd still suggest trying to get that PC closer

Thanks for the info Cheator, however I'm not going to have much of a choice. I guess if I have to spend some extra bucks(if that will help) to boost the signal I'll have to do it. Any recommendations on equipment?

no i don't have an idea on that. btw, that will probably add a whole bunch of latency, just an FYI :/. Sucks you got no choice. Good luck man

While I don't live and die by CNet's reviews (especially since they tend to be out of date half the time), they gave this Belkin router extremely good throughput-to-distance ratings ... better than just about everything out there at the time they reviewed it. However, it was quite a while back (12/6/04), but it might give you a good starting point to look at newer models, or even this same one ... not like it's gotten any worse just because it's a year and a half old. I just know there's quite a few more MIMO routers out there now: http://reviews.cnet.com/Belkin_Wireless_Pre_N_router/4505-3319_7-30993672.html?tag=tpr

It was still getting over 30Mbps at 300 feet, where most other routers had completely dropped out by that point. I'm thinking about replacing my DLink DI-624+ with one, since we've got cables running from the spare bedroom closet across the living room and into the kitchen, where the computers sit because with wifi, I could only pull down 200KB/sec, and hardwired, I can pull down around 1,100KB/sec sustained. The Dlink wifi just wasn't cutting it.

Well I just went ahead and ordered the D-Link DGL4300, wasn't real impressed with the price but the reviews seemed to be pretty strong. If it doesn't work very well considering what I'm asking it to do, I'll see you guys in the classifieds!! Thanks

The router you go should do you fine, if you can get a directional card for your PC or an external card that can be placed away from support beams you'll improve your signal. ideally you want your router in the center of the building

Back