• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pci bus speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rob dog

just finished my 1st build and i'v got a couple ?'s.
how can i check my pci bus speed, according to ecs it should be locked with the "spread srectrum" setting in the bios, does anyone know if this is right or not. is there a utility program that will display real time spec's of the pci speed ( other than clockgen, i cant get it to work right ).

i'm running 2 sata2 hitachi's with via raid 0, i've read that the sata's dont like being oc'ed by the fsb, any comments, suggestions, should i be worried about burning them up.

i'm going to be copying, rendering then deleteing a lot of audio files, should i consider partioning my raid array for easier cleanup.

775 p4 2.8 533 @ 3.2 33c and 38c no voltage adjustments yet
ecs p4m800pro-m
1 -1 gig ddr2 533
win xp pro sp2

thanks rd

Not sure of a prog to check the bus speeds on that mobo but you definitely want to lock it to default speed. ECS mobos aren't that great and typically lack features in the bios needed for good overclocking and coincidentally programs like clockgen don't support them.

rob dog said:
i've read that the sata's dont like being oc'ed by the fsb, any comments, suggestions, should i be worried about burning them up
I found my sata drive could take higher PCI freq on third party controllers, though the Intel southbridge controller did not like to be changed to any other freq than 33MHz.
You will not burn the drives. At worse your data could be corrupted. Its more likely the operating system will not boot or you cannot access your data.

33Mhz is stock speed. Spread Spectrum has nothing to do with pci clock, it is a method for reducing electromagnetic interfearance, but can make clock speed move upwards and down a little. This is fine normally, but when overclock it can cause serous problems. Your bios (if it supports it) should have a setting like 'pci lock' or a setting that has somthing to do with the pci bus that is set to 33.

'Cpuz' should be able to detect your bus speeds.

now ecs is telling me use
auto detect dimm/pci --- " when this setting enabled, bios will disable signal to of free dimm/pci slots ", this is the descitption in the book.

still need software to check pci speed

Back