• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMFG 42" Sony LCD 1366 x 768p 60FPS and xbox360 vs. PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Internal

OMFG 40" Sony LCD 1366 x 768p 60FPS and xbox360 vs. PC

Has anyone else had to privlidge to play on this baby?

My friend picked this thing up not too long ago and we've been playing his xbox360 on it. I must say it does the 360 justice cause it looks much better then all the other TV's I've seen 360's on.

Just when we thought it couldn't get any better I brought my computer over and we ran it in the native 1366 x 768p (60fps) on all my games.

All I can say is: :drool: and :attn: The computer you see in my sig 100% clowned on his 360 so hard he wanted to throw his 360 through his wall.

You guys should have seen this TV on my computer. I have my computer REALLY dialed so it plays all the latest games at all the highest settings and we had my audigy2 card plugged into his 5.1 with a 12" sub.

WOW wow and wow.

We played Oblivion, Fear, BF2, GTR racing, Doom3, DOD:source and a few others. WOW. I was IN the games.

What's crazy is the fact that we were not more the 3 feet away from the TV and I never needed to go over 2xAA. You had to look REAL hard along a curved lined that went off far in the distance to even see any jaggys at all.

The 2xAA on his xbox360 has HUGE jaggys. Compared to the 2xAA on my ATI card it looked like negative AA on the 360 it was that bad. We would play the same basic games on my PC that he had on his 360 and my computer was just CLOWNING on his 360. Not even close on my now $600 computer setup(was $800 when I first got it back in Oct)

So 2xAA with 16xAF high Quality hooked up to this TV even with my computer specs is a experience all gamers need to experience. (in all fairness I have one of the most dialed in gaming computers)

Even the games that didn't have native widescreen resolution we'd put at 1024x768 crank the AA to 4xAA and have the TV auto stretch and even that LOOKED REAL GOOD.

This TV is AMAZING!

I'm seriously considering ditching my computer desk in the next year to buy one of these TV's and use the TV for not only our main TV/DVD setup, but also my computer gaming setup.

These TV's are the future of computers!

I'd just need to figure out a way to use the keyboard and mouse and also figure out how I would mount my Steering Wheel to something as stable as a desk.

I'm still in just awe.

Last edited:
I could take pics.

Here is a manufacture pic for now:
http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review3148.html

It costed him $3000 cash about 9 months ago but I justed called my local cheap provider of these types of electronics and they'll let one go for $2500 cash and about $2750 on credit/finance.

The new 46" one is going to be coming out soon but that will be $4000.
It's one of the few TV's thats actually made in Japan and shipped over here to sell. Quality is top notch.

I tell you what, If I was to waste my money on a stupid expensive TV it would be this one.

Sure you could get a bigger TV for the price but it isn't a Computer type LCD, it would be one of those rear projector LCD's. If you try to hook a computer up to it and go high res it just goes blank. Those TV's are not monitors like this SOny is. Since I'm a computer gamer I'd feel like I wasted my money if I couldn't hook my PC up to it and its only purpose was to watch TV.

On top of all of this, the rear projector LCD's have alot of depth to them so you can't mount them to the wall. This is one of the first big LCD's that mount to a wall like a plasma TV does.

SO its basically a HUGE high end computer monitor that mounts to the wall.

Sony makes other models that seem like they have similar specs but they're different then this one. The model number of the one my friend has is :
Sony KDL-V40XBR1 so if you guys are on the look out, look into this TV.

It's by far the most insane single peice of home electronics I've every played with.

thats pretty sick. I personally wouldnt buy one though. I prefer higher resolutions.

It does all the way to 1900x1200 but like the other TV's its 30fps.

1366x768 does 60fps.

In the end I think its the difference between 720p and 1080i.

I'm sure you undestood my post all the way.

This TV has the newest LCD technology in it, you dont NEED to run at those super resolutions to get the kind of picture you're thinking of when you say "you prefer higher resolutions". This TV is insane.

LIke I said 2xAA at 1366x768 60FPS and you see no jaggys even 3 feet away from it. It's 100% clear. You actually have to put your face directly in front of a 40" LCD screen to even point out the jaggys. Again it's insane and by far the best TV made right now.

Last edited:
I would have to try it out to honestly get an idea of it but sure does sound nice^^

However I never liked the idea of running PC games in low resolutions on really big screen LCD/Plasma. I wonder which the most people would prefer lower resolutions on a 40 inch behemoth or a dell 30 inch lcd monitor at 2560 x 1600 resolution.

Ok, when you bring up fps, I see what your saying. Too bad im generally anti-sony

the problem with big TVs is that unless you sit close to them you're basically paying an extra $2000 to sit farther away from the thing. When you sit up close to a 24" dell the screen is covering just as much of your vision as a 40" TV when you're sitting back on the couch... However its still a fun setup to have if a bit pricy!

twoeyes said:
the problem with big TVs is that unless you sit close to them you're basically paying an extra $2000 to sit farther away from the thing. When you sit up close to a 24" dell the screen is covering just as much of your vision as a 40" TV when you're sitting back on the couch... However its still a fun setup to have if a bit pricy!

That's a damn good point.

We where sitting about 3 feet from the TV cause he has a bach pad but if I got one I would mount it on the wall and I would sit back like a regular TV.

Hmmm.

gtsimmo said:
I would have to try it out to honestly get an idea of it but sure does sound nice^^

However I never liked the idea of running PC games in low resolutions on really big screen LCD/Plasma. I wonder which the most people would prefer lower resolutions on a 40 inch behemoth or a dell 30 inch lcd monitor at 2560 x 1600 resolution.

It's kinda funny when you put it that way.

One on end you could have a computer like mine(cheaper) or single videocard and put the extra money into the TV and the TV would make up the difference.

On the other end you could save that money and buy a really nice LCD computer monitor (20-24") and put that money into a better computer(dual videocard).

I really wish you guys could see how good this TV/Monitor looks at 1366x768 60fps with even just 2xAA on this ATI card looks.

It's easy to just think of the size(40") and think of the resolution(1366x768) and say to yourself "there is no way that looks as good as he's explaining" but its true.

Next year this TV will be $2000. I'll get one then.
Could you imagine butting a flat desk up againsts the wall and then mounting this 40" monitor to that same wall 3-4 feet in front of you?

That would be WAY better then buying a 20-24" LCD.

Just thinking about that makes me want to figure out a way to do it.

Echo_ said:
resolution > inches

I used to think the same thing until last night.
Somehow the technology they put in these new LCD's make up the difference IMO.

YMMV

O and I love Sony, they make the best stuff but it isn't cheap.

Last edited:
Consumer Reports tends to say different, they are favoring the mitsubishi and HP LCD's right now. But I know what you mean, gaming on a high quality LCD or DLP just plain rocks. But if you are gonna pick up a TV, get one that does 1920x1080, or 1080p, so you can realy play games the right way.

shard said:
Consumer Reports tends to say different, they are favoring the mitsubishi and HP LCD's right now. But I know what you mean, gaming on a high quality LCD or DLP just plain rocks. But if you are gonna pick up a TV, get one that does 1920x1080, or 1080p, so you can realy play games the right way.

I don't read that commie magazine.

Er not a single HP is rated in the latest Consumer reports and Mitsubishi is at #25 in the ratings.

Here's the top 30:

CR_LATEST_LCD.gif

JRW said:
Er not a single HP is rated in the latest Consumer reports and Mitsubishi is at #25 in the ratings.

Here's the top 30:

CR_LATEST_LCD.gif

HP's are just old Sharp LCDs with a HP logo on it. I think the current HP LCD TVs are running on the hardware that the sharp 6U series ran on.

Back