• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video tearing or artifacting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Billiam151

Hello, I am not exactly sure what it is called but when playing two different games on my system, the video starts to tear...

I have the case side open and it really should not be overheating due to the fact that the side is open and it is spec so far..

most would say it is heat related..

this system was custom built and is only 4 weeks old..

any help would be greatly appreciated.. my sig has the video card..

Billiam

Billiam151 said:
Hello, I am not exactly sure what it is called but when playing two different games on my system, the video starts to tear...

I have the case side open and it really should not be overheating due to the fact that the side is open and it is spec so far..

most would say it is heat related..

this system was custom built and is only 4 weeks old..

any help would be greatly appreciated.. my sig has the video card..

Billiam

Is the hardware overclocked? I would guess it is due to the memory overheating.

dan

If you are actually seeing tearing (frame tearing), then nothing is wrong with your video card. Simply enable Vsync in your drivers and it should go away.

If you are seeing artifacts, that is a different matter. Tearing is not an artifact.

JKeefe said:
If you are actually seeing tearing (frame tearing), then nothing is wrong with your video card. Simply enable Vsync in your drivers and it should go away.

If you are seeing artifacts, that is a different matter. Tearing is not an artifact.
yea vsync should be on if tearing , but artifacts are diff can be cause by heat or ocing or defective card, so if u can get a screenshot of it for us to see

Ok, thanks for the replys.. and I would say I am not exactly sure what it's called because I don't see it that much but let me try to explain it since it will be another day or so that I will be playing games.

While playing the game, seems like I would be playing for awhile, not like hours or so but my system might have been on for awhile since i don't always shut it off.

the video starts acting funny then it starts to like break apart and then spin and lose its color and then needs to be rebooted...

to me it sounds like tearing but I am not real sure so if you could possibly explain the difference that might help me...

My system is currently not overclocked at all and I am not exactly sure of the settings, when it happens again I will go back and check everything and then write it down...

Also, exactly how do i do a screen shot?

I know noob questions... sorry..

Billiam

Billiam151 said:
Ok, thanks for the replys.. and I would say I am not exactly sure what it's called because I don't see it that much but let me try to explain it since it will be another day or so that I will be playing games.

While playing the game, seems like I would be playing for awhile, not like hours or so but my system might have been on for awhile since i don't always shut it off.

the video starts acting funny then it starts to like break apart and then spin and lose its color and then needs to be rebooted...

to me it sounds like tearing but I am not real sure so if you could possibly explain the difference that might help me...

My system is currently not overclocked at all and I am not exactly sure of the settings, when it happens again I will go back and check everything and then write it down...

Also, exactly how do i do a screen shot?

I know noob questions... sorry..

Billiam

www.fraps.com download that to take screenshots. Sounds like a heating problem to me, if you can open ur case and look at your video card fane to make sure its not full of dust , if it is get can of air to blast the dust out and that should help with temps.

Like previously stated, tearing isnt neccessarily a pointer of bad things, just an undesirable response which can be fixed by enabling VSync.

Artifacting is simply anything in the image that shouldnt be there. Corrupt textures associated with fun colors is usually the most prevalent. Artifacting IS a sign of bad things.

Still happenening

I have tried some different settings to no avail, I actually downloaded "Fraps" like suggested but when I hit the video capture key and then go to view the video which was about 1.5 GB it came back with a video error in windows media player about it could not find something..

Some things I have noticed... If I play the game after my computer is on for awhile it seems to happen quicker...

If I start playing after the computer has been off, like for several hours, it seems to take awhile for it to happen...

This would give me the conclusion that it is heat related... Fyi.. my system is only about 4 weeks old and was built for me...

I am gonna contact the builder and see what they say...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Billiam

Back