• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Corsair Twin2X1024-5400C4 good enough for Pentium D 930?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mastiff

For my new carputer I'm probably gonna go with an Asus P5WD2-E/Premium (Intel i975X) and a Pentium D 930, which has already hurt my budget a lot! Would the Corsair Twin2X1024-5400C4 memory be good for overclocking this thing a gig or so? I saw in one review (Neoseeker) that the CPU overclocks very well on stock speeds and coolers (even though I'm going to use a better air cooler than the stock, probably an Auras 775): We've had no problem at all running it at 4.125GHz, at stock Vcore, with the stock heatsing/fan. Yes, stock everything yielded an excellent just over 1GHz overclock and was stable throughout all of our benchmarks.

That means an FSB of 275MHz, and that's a memory speed of 550. So the 667 mHz Corsair Twin shouldn't have any problems tagging along with that, right? I would like this setup to be right on the first attempt, I'm gonna use it for a long drive (more than ten hours each way) in a little more than a week!

Thanks in advance!

Ya, I dont see a problem with that RAM, you should be fine. You can prolly sneak by with a 3:5 divider too ....

I was automatically thinking about going 1:1, but that's for FFDShow, so I don't really need it in this computer. I'm very much a HTPC man (wrote a series of articles for a Norwegian website about making a fully featured HTPC), but FFDShow won't be used in this computer. So I probably sound like a newbie, but do you mean 3 on the FSB and 5 on the memory? And that will increase the memory bandwith, right?

Mastiff said:
I was automatically thinking about going 1:1, but that's for FFDShow, so I don't really need it in this computer. I'm very much a HTPC man (wrote a series of articles for a Norwegian website about making a fully featured HTPC), but FFDShow won't be used in this computer. So I probably sound like a newbie, but do you mean 3 on the FSB and 5 on the memory? And that will increase the memory bandwith, right?

Yep you got it man :)

My 940 starts needing a little more vcore at about 3.8 gig, so I would take that "4.125GHz at stock Vcore" with a grain of salt. But still, you should hit 4 gig with fairly low voltage and if you give the RAM a little more voltage (like maybe 2.0v), it will probably run at the 3:4 ratio. Certainly, the 1:1 ratio is no problem at all, since that RAM is rated DDR2-667.

Back