• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The world is ending! - Walmart selling PC components

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

Daily Tech said:
Wal-Mart definitely aspires to be everyone's one-stop-shop for everything. The world's largest retailer has announced that it plans to start selling computer components. Peripherals like keyboards, mice, monitors and more technical products like hard drives, add-in cards, monitors (even processors) are in the grand plan. Most Wal-Mart stores were limited to simple PC components such as blank media, but Wal-Mart has been testing the waters at a few locations with more technical items. There are plans for the PC components to enter 1,200 stores within the US.

Using its incredible buying power, Wal-Mart spokesmen claim the company can begin to take on the local shops as well as the bigger retailers, such as Best Buy. Wal-Mart's entry into the computer components could be troublesome for many retailers say analysts. Because of its price pressures, many competitors and allies of Wal-Mart have been forced into bankruptcy. But there's definitely a clear reason why so many shop at Wal-Mart and why it is the world's number one retailer -- the price is right.

Original:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2137

This is amazing.

" Wal-Mart spokesmen claim the company can begin to take on the local shops as well as the bigger retailers "

And they say their NOT going after the small local shops? HE SPECIFICLY POINTED THEM OUT, AND SAID THIS WAS PART OF THEIR PLAN TO TAKE ON LOCAL SHOPS! "

I work at walmart...ARGGG... i feel sooo dirty EVERY TIME i get off of work.

and you should see the way they handle freight, like TV's when pulling them off the truck.

no way in hell i'm going to buy a HDD from them ( which my store does sell internal, and External HDD's ). And it doesn't matter for us anyways. the stores, even the small local ones, ALWAYS charge way to much for items. They charge 80 bucks for an 80 hdd. I can get a 160gig for 80 from Newegg. If not a better deal as it is.

while it doesn't effect where we buy, it affects those who wish to start up their on PC shop. As there are alot of people that would like to do this. If walmart follows through with this plan, The chances of one of us starting a PC shop will be very small, and very hard.

zexmarquies01 said:
while it doesn't effect where we buy, it affects those who wish to start up their on PC shop. As there are alot of people that would like to do this. If walmart follows through with this plan, The chances of one of us starting a PC shop will be very small, and very hard.

Amen brother. Amen. Yeah drive them out of business and then hire underpaid workers to staff their own stores.

Thank God for the internet.

I am hopeful that the word is getting out on Walmart. They destroy towns, exploit their workers, and are generally bad for busines and the community. They can sell anything they want, but I won't be buying it there.

I'd pay an extra 5% on most things just so that I DON'T have to step into a Wal-Mart. When it comes to anything computer related I avoid chain retailers because they tend to skin the bottom of the product barrel but still charge top-dollar.

guess teh walmart in my town was a test store cause they have every thing from keyboards to video cards but no cpu

Rpkole said:
guess teh walmart in my town was a test store cause they have every thing from keyboards to video cards but no cpu

Read the story closer... they aren't selling individual parts. They have stations set up so that you can walk in, customize your hardware/software... and walk out with it a few minutes later.

I wouldnt stress this at all. Our local walmfarts sell everything in the way of of computers compononets short or processors and ram. They do sell hardrives, mice, keyboards, monitors, network cards or both kinds, all sorts of networking equipment, video cards, sound cards, speakers, optical drives, everything except motherboards, processors and ram which the average nut around here is afraid to put in anyway and it's all way overpriced compared to our local computer shops. Most of the stuff sits their and collects dust. Sure, there are those few people that buy the stuff there, but it's not like it flocking off the shelf. If I would like to get something there (which I wont, hate walmart with a passion) its pretty assured I could just walk in and get it, no calling ahead and the shelves are plenty stocked.

I still wouldnt buy that stuff from crap-mart. I used to work for Sams club, their warehouse division, and OMFG, they sure love craping on the employees, and not giving a damn about merchandise.

zexmarquies01 said:
" Wal-Mart spokesmen claim the company can begin to take on the local shops as well as the bigger retailers "

And they say their NOT going after the small local shops? HE SPECIFICLY POINTED THEM OUT, AND SAID THIS WAS PART OF THEIR PLAN TO TAKE ON LOCAL SHOPS! "
Oops. That violates the Sherman Anti-Trust Act (among other antitrust and fair-competition legislation in place at the Federal and state levels), and could be construed as deliberately anticompetitive...

by deliberately anti competititive you mean deliberately competitive?

"Hi, i'm going to challenge you now." = not anti-competetive to me. He said "take them on", not "shut them down"...

If it's only best buy, and circuit city selling PC parts in your town, how can this be bad?

So, here's the biggest company that can NOT outsource its core labor... so much hate against them

the reason there is so much hate for walmart is that they undercut any mom and pop shop and result in those shutting down, they treat their employees like absolute crap(what was the laws passed regarding Walmart providing benefits again?), and they outsource everything but the employees pretty much.

I dont shop there if I can help it bt sometimes it is worth it for me to make the hour drive to go to one.

Adragontattoo said:
the reason there is so much hate for walmart is that they undercut any mom and pop shop and result in those shutting down, they treat their employees like absolute crap(what was the laws passed regarding Walmart providing benefits again?), and they outsource everything but the employees pretty much.

I dont shop there if I can help it bt sometimes it is worth it for me to make the hour drive to go to one.

Well I don't see many mom and pop shops to begin with... and anywho no mom and pop shop could beat Dell, Fry's, or Newegg to begin with. And outsourcing involves the employees, so thats moot. It's up to the manufacturers to provide product; where it comes from doesn't matter to the retailer, just so long as it sells.

I don't get how Americans can bash a single company so hard. Sure, I dislike walmart, hate going in there. But that company absolutely epitomizes America's definition of capitalism. Walmart is the definition of American capitalism.

(A)Reduce your costs and increase your sales as much as possible to increase your bottom line
or
(B) go out of business when someone else comes along with the balls to do (A) without caring for the "little guy"

mdameron said:
Well I don't see many mom and pop shops to begin with... and anywho no mom and pop shop could beat Dell, Fry's, or Newegg to begin with. And outsourcing involves the employees, so thats moot. It's up to the manufacturers to provide product; where it comes from doesn't matter to the retailer, just so long as it sells.

I don't get how Americans can bash a single company so hard. Sure, I dislike walmart, hate going in there. But that company absolutely epitomizes America's definition of capitalism. Walmart is the definition of American capitalism.

(A)Reduce your costs and increase your sales as much as possible to increase your bottom line
or
(B) go out of business when someone else comes along with the balls to do (A) without caring for the "little guy"

Precisely, I hated working there, but I still shop there from time to time.

mdameron said:
by deliberately anti competititive you mean deliberately competitive?

"Hi, i'm going to challenge you now." = not anti-competetive to me. He said "take them on", not "shut them down"...

If it's only best buy, and circuit city selling PC parts in your town, how can this be bad?

So, here's the biggest company that can NOT outsource its core labor... so much hate against them

So a sweatshop in china that isn't going to outsource its labor would still be viewed as a good thing for china?

The thing about walmart is that they squeeze their suppliers to the bone. That means more companies having to outsource in order to meet walmart's demands.

Also, your point about outsourcing is irrelevant, since no matter what company or mom and pop shop has a store, they are not going to outsource their labor either.

mdameron said:

How does walmart epitomizing capitalism make it bad to dislike them? Companies like enron and mci worldcom did too, but do you hear anyone rooting for them? Do you never hear people get ****ed off at CEOs for destroying people's lives in the name of capitalism?

I don't care too much about the 'mom&pop' stores around here (a pentium 3 processor for $100? What's that you say?), but I wouldn't bother going to Walmart for computer parts. The only traditional store I'll go to for parts is Microcenter - otherwise it's the internet. No Fry's around here.

:sn: Microcenter is like my candy store.

There is no Fry's in my area or on the east coast as far as I know.

As far as walmart not outsourcing, your technically right. It's core employees it send anywhere. But then again how can you outsource a supply warehouse or a cashier?

What walmart does do is forces its retailers to outsource there employment which I don't like. More busuniesses now of days are outsroucing so badly it's not funny. Why not try and keep the business in America? Goodness knows whe need the money. Granted Im not trying to take away that 14 cents a weeks that bangledesh woman gets every week, but as americans we need jobs and have bills to pay. Also our government needs the taxes as it's screwed up it's spending like a lotery winning white trailer trash woman. And Im sure if we brought our jobs back in to the country that poor woman over the see would make more the 14 cents a week too.

Back