• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

930pd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the garynator

Chief folding_monkey
So i said screw it and just ordered a 930 pentium d...after i saw that newegg had them for $211!!!!!! :drool:

I'll figure out a board within the next two weeks, but I couldn't pass up a deal like that, $2 cheaper than the 920 for god's sake!

that is because of the end of life pricing by intel for the 930.

p5wd2 (refurbed?) would be your best folding bet. Don't bother with any 945 mobo's on the presslers cuz they don't seem to relaibly OC presslers well.

Don't be suprised also if a 930 doesn't oc any better than a 920. I have one that does, and one the doesn't :shrug:

And make sure you have a good single rail 12V psu and something like a big typhoon (or water) for a decent OC chance.

pscout said:
that is because of the end of life pricing by intel for the 930.

p5wd2 (refurbed?) would be your best folding bet. Don't bother with any 945 mobo's on the presslers cuz they don't seem to relaibly OC presslers well.

Don't be suprised also if a 930 doesn't oc any better than a 920. I have one that does, and one the doesn't :shrug:

And make sure you have a good single rail 12V psu and something like a big typhoon (or water) for a decent OC chance.

i got a zalman cnps7700 waiting for that beast.

Also, i might go with a crossover board from asus for 39bux (refurb) to get me by till i have enough money to pick up ddr2 and a pciE vid card...then i'll upgrade the board.

As for the PSU, i'll probably have a dedicated 330Truepower (single rail) or a 430 watt aspire dedicated to the mobo or use a combination of the 12v connector from one and the atx connector from the other. I'm only looking for about the performance of an 805 @ 3.6-3.9ghz because that was what i was going to pick up instead of this.

the 930 won't need much of an oc i suspect to beat an 805 ... i have never taken the plunge to try an 805, and given my current farm consolidation theme I doubt that i will, although i still think it would make an awesome budget folder, especially if qmd's re-appear.

My one good 930 is ticking along nicely at 4.28 on air. Beats my 920 on water at 4.135. The other 930 is at 3.9 atm (was stable at 4.0 till a heat wave hit) ... but not much better on current WU's than the 830's which all seem to hit max oc stable folding at around 260 fsb.
All my presslers are on 975/955 asus mobos. All are on very robust ocz powerstream 420/520's (30+A 12v) ... with nothing but pci vid.

The zalman will be nice and quiet i am sure (I haven't tried one of those ones tho) but anything other than a 955+ chipset mobo will probablly be your OC liimiter (other than psu). Not sure if your psu's will hack much of an oc on that puppy.. not that I am an expert on psu's ... i just stick with the powerstreams since they seem to drive whatever i throw at them. The 930 at OC with VC upage will certainly give them a test. But I am doubtful a 330W psu will go far .... ihrsetrdr found he had to upgrade his 365 to a 465? for his 830's at OC folding load. He was ok till he upped the OC. But only testing will tell. :shrug:

On the powerstreams, I see the 420's seem to have gone EOL .... need to pick up a few spares since with no real video to drive on folding rigs they are as good as the 520 at 2/3 the price. I have swapped 420's with 520's on the presslers with no change in OC. Of course, all my statements are based on folding stable OC's. I have had higher 'traditionally tested stable' OC's ... but not when folding 724.

Last edited:
the 7700 might not (most likely so IMHO!!) be able to handle a o/c'ed Presler especially when you are getting to 4ghz!! plus as Pete stated, 330w even for a barebone folder might not be enough for the hungry Presler too.... both these two factors might be limiting your o/c on the 930!

good luck!! :cool:

LandShark said:
the 7700 might not (most likely so IMHO!!) be able to handle a o/c'ed Presler especially when you are getting to 4ghz!! plus as Pete stated, 330w even for a barebone folder might not be enough for the hungry Presler too.... both these two factors might be limiting your o/c on the 930!

good luck!! :cool:
i'm thinking the worst thing will be the psu...because unfortunately it's going to be in a beast of a computer...10 hdd's...i might have to employ another psu for them as I cannot afford a new psu now especially if i decide to buy a 955 mobo and pci-E vidcard and ddr2...but if i use the 4pin 12v from one and use the atx from another, i think i should have enough power between them.

the zalman should work ok for the time being...i'll probably be moving my computer to the basement soon so that will help a lot and i have no problem with running the fan @ max.

Guess what UPS dropped off today: :D
justopened.jpg

Yummy
box.jpg

must break the seal!
crackingtheseal.jpg

haha, mr stocker you're sayin' in there just like the 3.4's did :D
HSF.jpg

Too bad i don't have a mobo yet :(

Oric said:
You know Gary I bet you I could have a motherboard and memory here before you could get that 930 here.:p

Wudya say wanna giver a try?:cool:
LOL, maybe if it was the other way around :D

Back