• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Half-Life 2 lags a bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

starrwsn

When I play single player half-life 2, the screen lags a bit. It freezes up for like a half second or something. Anway, I have a G5 Mouse, G15 Keyboard so it has nothing to do with wireless. Im currently running
A8N-E Motherboard
Opty 146 @ 1.4v 2.85ghz (Prime stable 18hours)
2x512 Infineon ECC Ram
Asus 7800gt at 470-1050 (stock)

Im not sure what could be causing the lag. Could be too hot, overclocked too much, not enough ram?- I'm not sure if any of these things could be causing it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

run your cpu @ stock speeds ?

What harddrive do you have? is it very full? defrag it ?

could be the ECC ram doing it's error checking....

Half life 2 can benefit from having more than 1 gig of ram
I used to play Half life 2 on a AMD xp system with 1 gig of ram and there was some stuttering.
I decided to add a stick of 512MB making it a total of 1.5 gigs.
After that the stuttering / lag went away.
But before you buy more ram I would check the stability of your OC( try lowering it) and defrag etc.

HL2 can eat up a lot of resources. How's your PF looking before you load up the game?

I suggest you close all unnecesary apps before launching the game. I too have some lagging, but I got rid of it by keeping my PF @ 250mb when launching the game.

dan

It helps, but you can run it pretty much maxed out at 1280x1024 with only 1GB. One thing that really helps with gaming on 1GB is having a well optimised HDD, preferably having a page file on it's own partition at the beginning of the first disk, keeping everything well defragged, getting rid of all the crap from windows like the security center and the firewall with nlite or XPlite.

A really well optimised XP install and a decent amount of HDD maintenance can make a 1GB computer perform better than most machines with 1.5GB do.

he has an AMD, what does he want with Gskill, if he wants a 2GB kit he should get value ram, especially since DDR is pretty much at the end of it's life, and overpriced to boot.

Back