• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrade now or wait about 3 weeks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Warlord2

are there any new mobos coming out any time soon with new chipsets??

I got this shuttle ak31 1.4v that is just waiting to be torched......j/k;)

I would wait. None of the KT266A boards has come out as the clear leader. I suspect that's because mostly they are just the same old KT266 boards with a different northbridge slapped on. But we're starting to see hints of some new boards that look to be designed for the KT266A. I'm hoping they'll show substantial gains.

nihili

shuttle is coming out with a new motherboard, called the ak 35 with onabrd raid and sound. thats what im waiting on

shuttles make great cheap board but I still dont like how that put a capacitor right next to the chipset!!!!!you cant get a waterblock on there easlly........

I guess my board will hold me up tell something else comes out......:(

nihili said:
I would wait. None of the KT266A boards has come out as the clear leader. I suspect that's because mostly they are just the same old KT266 boards with a different northbridge slapped on. But we're starting to see hints of some new boards that look to be designed for the KT266A. I'm hoping they'll show substantial gains.

nihili

Nihili,

hello I read your post as quoted above,

Are you saying that the KT266A chipset that is now on the new Mobo's is NOT the TRUE KT266A chipset :rolleyes:? but a halfass breed? Please explain... :)

PS::: I tend to agree with you for some odd reason or another!

Kobi :D :cool: :D

If I've understood right, the KT266A is designed so that the mobo manufacturer can take a KT266 design and just drop in the newer chipset, without the need for any further chances.

Yes, the KT266A is designed to be a drop in upgrade to existing motherboards. However, that merely means that motherboards upgraded that way will continue to work. It does not mean that they will operate optimally.

nihilil

kobinger said:

Nihili,

hello I read your post as quoted above,

Are you saying that the KT266A chipset that is now on the new Mobo's is NOT the TRUE KT266A chipset :rolleyes:? but a halfass breed? Please explain... :)

PS::: I tend to agree with you for some odd reason or another!

Kobi :D :cool: :D

No, I'm not saying that. THe chipset is bonafide as far as I know. I'm suggesting that the current crop of boards has not been optimized for the chipset.

nihili

case in point the kt133a purchased 6 months ago will not even support the xp,as the manual states"supports AMD Athalon tm 700mhz~1.2ghz or future socket a processors based on 200mhz/266mhz(100mhz/133mhz double data rate"

the only revision supporting the xp is the 1.3 the 1.1 and 1.2 will run the xp,abit however denys this. and to date the 1.0 will not even boot the xp(that i know of).

this opens the company up to litagation and a huge loss in customers.

oh goody i have the 1.0.

these are the things you should keep in mind
TODAY: you have some real good, fast, stable and OCable mobos with the kt266a chipset
so if you buy something today buy one of those boards
but if you want to wait ... i heard DDR 333 is coming so that would be some more bandwidth = more speed
and if you want to wait a little while longer ... heard DDR 400 will be available next year ...
so you can always wait ... and there is always going to be something better and faster when you bought yours.

Back