• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ac jack/charger MELTING

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d94

$30 a phone
so iv got a dude comming over later today buying a monitor off me, bringing with him is his vaio

he says the laptop overheats like a mofo and he's gone through THREE ac adapter because they melt, the plastic on the ac adapter is pretty much gone too. he says last time he got it serviced they probably put a non mobile chip in it.

can that really cause all this trouble!?
or is there something else that could cause so much heat

If they put a non mobile chip in his laptop, that could do it. Sony should really be putting a thermo cut off in their power adapters.

Or try getting a fortron or Delta charger as a replacement. Fortron known for their amazing power supplies carry this tradition on to their mobile power adaptors. Delta the fan company also makes beefy adaptors that come with good safe guards.

Might also be a problem with the mobo. My Gateway just died and was exhibiting power problems coupled with an extremely hot DC jack. Turns out that the solder job to the mobo died with use causing a ton of resistance (and thus heat) while charging.

JigPu

JigPu said:
Might also be a problem with the mobo. My Gateway just died and was exhibiting power problems coupled with an extremely hot DC jack. Turns out that the solder job to the mobo died with use causing a ton of resistance (and thus heat) while charging.

JigPu
So is the mobo dead or did the jack just fall off? I have a Gateway Solo that had the jack break - however, I went to radioshack and bought a new metal jack. I then used a torch to heat up an old, already destroyed screwdriver and proceeded to melt a hole through my case where I then screwed the new power jack into. It was then a simple matter of soldering leads to and from the new jack & reassembling the laptop. The jack is the last thing that's going to break on that laptop now :)

The mobo is fine, the jack just broke as with yours. I haven't fixed it yet, but when I get some free time... :)

JigPu

Every time I see people posting their power jack problems, I'm glad that IBM designed theirs the way they did. The jack snaps onto the IO board (just mechanically) and then there's a screw holding it to the case. It has 4 wires, 2 positive and the other 2 are ground, that plug into the motherboard.

And, on top of all this, I've never seen a bad one. It can be replaced in a few minutes, but it never needs replacing. (And, I've seen a few Thinkpads.)

steve

Ok behind the dc jack on the sony board is a 7 vold white fuse to the left of the fuse is a black and silver cap with a dvm make sure the cap reads 8.6volts if it's not then replace the cap 99% sure thats the problem i work for the second largest laptop repair company in the world for the last 10 years i see anywhere from 600 to 1000 sonys aweek

Back