• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard drive suddenly moving at snail pace!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mastiff

I have a storage server with my personal ripped DVD's (so they can be watched over the network), and yesterday we wanted to see a movie. So I fired it up, and everthing went OK...for 20 seconds. Then the playback started to be jerky. (What a jerk! ;) ) So I thought it was a network error, took the drive out of the server and connected directly it to the HTPC. It seemed OK, but every now and then (maybe every 5 minutes) there was a small "hiccup". Towards the end it got a lot wors, and finally the last 10 minutes of the movie took 25 minutes! Annoying as heck. So I decided to see what I could save since it seemed like the drive was failing. And I started copying. The strange thing is that it copies most of the movies, it just takes foreeeeeever to do it. One movie takes maybe an hour. Should take less then five minutes. And for a long time it just sits there without any "??? minutes left" or anything, then it seems to start again because the minutes reappear. Does anybody know what this may be? It behaves just the same in two computers, so it's not the IDE channel or the cable that's failing.

check to see if the hd is running in PIO mode. If it is and you can switch it back to dma then you are dandy. The os sends the drive into PIO mode when it detects errors and if two os's are sending it into pio mode it might be the drive dieing.

It's getting weirder and weirder. I was able to copy every file over on another drive. Then I did a full check with both Partition Magic and Windows' built in checkers and formatted it twice. Finally I copied the files back, and copying them back didn't take longer than it should take to copy almost 200 gigabyte. But I didn't delete the copies, and I will do a real thorough check today with Western's utility.

It fails Smart, everything except for Raw Read Error Rate is OK. But that one point is marked with a worst of 1, where the warning point is 51. I think its about to die, yes.

Always do. Hammer and nail method, nobody can recover any files from a hard drive I have dumped! :eek:

Back