• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hello hello asrock peeps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GruffiGummi

hey guys, im gonna join your asrock community in a few days

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9721327261&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1
the bidders got in a bidding war and its selling for more than i expected :beer:

so its time to upgrade

right now i have

a7n8x deluxe rev 2
athlon xp 2800+ barton
512+512+256 corsair xms 3200
visiontek x800 pro (overclocks like crazy with the arctic cooler)

i plan on getting a Asrock 939dual and a Athlon x2 3800

will my ram be fine for my next config?
should i use the same timings? right now im using 2-3-3-6
and i heard that agp performance is poor, but it might just be a rumor

i would love any tips at all for this mobo/cpu combo, and just sayin whats up.

GruffiGummi said:
and what bios should i flash to as soon as i get started
1.80, i use 1.5 well cause its more stable on my oc lol tried 1.8 not stable lol but i heard 1.80 is good.

agp was fine when i had a 6800

for ram i would stick with just 2 x 512 for dual channel

GruffiGummi said:
hey guys, im gonna join your asrock community in a few days

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9721327261&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1
the bidders got in a bidding war and its selling for more than i expected :beer:

so its time to upgrade

right now i have

a7n8x deluxe rev 2
athlon xp 2800+ barton
512+512+256 corsair xms 3200
visiontek x800 pro (overclocks like crazy with the arctic cooler)

i plan on getting a Asrock 939dual and a Athlon x2 3800

will my ram be fine for my next config?
should i use the same timings? right now im using 2-3-3-6
and i heard that agp performance is poor, but it might just be a rumor

i would love any tips at all for this mobo/cpu combo, and just sayin whats up.

Gruff,

Board doesn't have a high vdimm or vcore without some mods. Better find out what those Corsairs need for vdimm. If they are 2.8v you'll might have a problem and surely will have a problem doing an over clock.

I have XMS3200C2 which is rated at 2.75v. I did 3.2v mod and it ran fine but no OC, also primed High setting in bios which is 2.7v and it went for 12 hours before I stopped it.

Tbh I would prefer to run 2x1gb in dual channel if possible ..

Last edited:
Dont get a x2 3800 just get a opteron 165 and also you ram should be find just remove the 256 from the setup. 2 3 3 6 would be a great place to start @.

so opteron 165 is basically the same thing, jsut 30 bucks more for 2x1mb l2 cache?

sounds great thx

RollingThunder said:
Gruff,

Board doesn't have a high vdimm or vcore without some mods. Better find out what those Corsairs need for vdimm. If they are 2.8v you'll might have a problem and surely will have a problem doing an over clock.

i have them turned up, 2.9v is max on my a7n8x right now

i think ill be fine

GruffiGummi said:
so opteron 165 is basically the same thing, jsut 30 bucks more for 2x1mb l2 cache?

sounds great thx

@monarch you can do a combo. The cpu(165) is $299 and the asrock is $69.
I went with the 148(single core 2.2ghz) instead of the dual core.
Dual core doesn't benefit me enough to justify paying $100 more for a dual 1.8ghz chip. But that's just me. I'd get the 146(2.0ghz and only $150) and use the extra $150 towards a ddr500 2gb setup(doesn't need vdimm mod)
But again, that's just me. :beer:

Dont mean to disagree w/ some of you, but:
Go w/ opteron 165 its better upgrade for you since single core upgrade will not be sizable improvement from your current 2.4 ghz barton.
If you were upgrading from socket A or PIII, then yes, 146 opteron would have been good upgrade. But w/ 165 and potential 2.7ghz overclock, you will enjoy a good year of upgrade (even 2 years) and would be just as good as AM2 or Intel's Conroe, spending a lot less and not left behind.
Your present rams will do fine too, but might just ad another 256mb to have completed dual channel set up (2x512 + 2x256), but make sure new 256 is same spec as your current 256 module.
Good luck.

Back