• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

An internet Conspiracy?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boris_37

okay well i went home to my parents house this weekend and was downloading a file on my fathers computer.

He has a dell hunk o' junk, nothing special... now i downloaded a file @ 582kb/s on some public(no not private) server. I then went on my sisters laptop and downloaded @ 260kb/s on a pretty busy server....

Here i am sitting 300km away on my dsl... never, ever AND I MEAN NEVER hit above 200kb/s.

My friend however says he has hit 1.5mb/s download and it's not uncommon for him to pound a download @ 500kb/s..

Well what the hell is going on. No matter where i have ever download from (even if i am running torrents) i max my bandwidth around 180-200..... whats going on?

It has alot to do with distance from the central office, with DSL. Mine is about 2 blocks away so I max out at 700 k/sec with is 200 k/sec more than i should get.

Could be many things.

Distance, Quality, Disruptions, Your computer, Time of day, What day, Location, etc.

Too many variables to consider.

heck, check your LAN drivers. And check your ethernet cords as well.

Hell, get some aluminum foil, and wrap it around your internet wires in your house :D

also, you have DSL. so you probably have those phone line splitter boxes, that usually come with the total DSL package. Maybe there's something wrong with that box?

also, how old are your phone wires in your house? those wires can be pretty old, so maybe you should check those out as well. Like find to ends, and use an OHM meter, and check resistance. Maybe there's a bit of interfearence, of the contacts are going bad.

I love a good conspiracy theory but Cheator is right. I have Roadrunner and get BLAZING speeds 1.5MBs but if I lived in a big apartment complex or something then it would surely suck. DSL may have dedicated bandwidth but it drops like a rock once you get 2 miles from switching station and worse the further you go. I believe it's limit is 3-5 miles so that is a pretty short range.

Last edited:
Is your provider guarnteering a minimum speed? If so, and it's not cuttin' it, I'd call them and have them fix it.

Back