• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What about disabling the cable modem/router's dhcp and using the wireless router as t

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foolios

What about disabling the cable modem/router's dhcp and using the wireless router as t

What about disabling the cable modem/router's dhcp and using the wireless router as the dhcp for the netowork?

SMC_8013WG is the comcast cable modem/router. Lynksis WRT54G is the wireless router. I was wondering if it would be better to use dhcp from the wireless router rather than from comcast's cable modem/router. WOuld it be a better idea? Is it even possible to have a working wan/lan that way?

Currently I have the wireless lynksis set as an access point with dhcp disabled, and connected to a lan port on the comcast cable modem/router.

Thanks for any input.

Foolios said:
What about disabling the cable modem/router's dhcp and using the wireless router as the dhcp for the netowork?

SMC_8013WG is the comcast cable modem/router. Lynksis WRT54G is the wireless router. I was wondering if it would be better to use dhcp from the wireless router rather than from comcast's cable modem/router. WOuld it be a better idea? Is it even possible to have a working wan/lan that way?

Currently I have the wireless lynksis set as an access point with dhcp disabled, and connected to a lan port on the comcast cable modem/router.

Thanks for any input.

Hi, and welcome to the forums :)

I believe you could have the cable modem router plugged into the WAN port on the WRT54G and say it assigns IPs of the form 192.168.1.x. The WAN IP of the WRT54G would then be say 192.168.1.2 and have it work as a dhcp server too for connected computers, but use 192.168.2.x

Example:

PC is 192.168.2.2. Traffic goes to 192.168.2.1 (router LAN IP) out the WAN port (192.168.1.2) to the cable modem (192.168.1.1) and out to the internet.

Effectively both act as dhcp servers, the cable modem assigning an Ip to the WRT and the WRT assigning IPs to connected systems.

Thanks for the welcome. Then I guess if it's possible either way. What way would be the most secure and better solution for controlling the network?

Sorry if this is such a broad question. Just looking for some input because I am wondering whether I should let the comcast cable modem/router do the work or the lynksis wireless router do the work. I don't really know even though I've looked at both of their internal software which of the two is better.

Thanks again.

Back