• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Silver 5 OK with EVGA RMA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brando

Will EVGA take back a defective card if arctic silver 5 has replaced those gauze rags they use for TIM? Their site says scratches\chips to pcb or circuits are a dealbreaker but nothing is mentioned about TIM or aftermarket cooling. Can I just take off the aftermarket cooler and put the stock junk in a baggie to send back with the card? 2 questions I guess, sorry.

I usually only use AS5 on the GPU on video cards, I have AS Ceramique that I use for ram. If i were you i would goto the nearest radio shack and buy some silicone heatsink grease and put it on the ram just in case. and as for replacing the TIM on the EVGA cards, I just sent my 7800GT back to EVGA for my stepup and they didnt say anything about the fact that those gause pads werent there anymore.

Yeah. From what I've heard, XFX and eVGA seem to be pretty leiniant on things like that and they don't really care. One reason why I won't buy from BFG.

I see, thanks. While we're on the subject, whats best for glueing ramsinks on? I was thinking about the v1 ultra.

On the topic of companies complaining about card modifications, PNY and Asus come to mind.

For the RAM sinks, Toddm27 was selling sheets with some thermal tape strips on them not to long ago. The stuff he was selling damn strong and is perfect for RAM sinks. PM him and see if he's got any left.

Just whatever you do, don't use any adhesive to hold the RAM sinks on. It'll make selling the card a bit harder to do in some cases.

Nope. They arn't afriad of getting cards that have had swapped coolers or TIM, but they do ask that all original accessories packaging manuals and so forth are included or isntalled on the card.

Celeron_Phreak said:
On the topic of companies complaining about card modifications, PNY and Asus come to mind.

For the RAM sinks, Toddm27 was selling sheets with some thermal tape strips on them not to long ago. The stuff he was selling damn strong and is perfect for RAM sinks. PM him and see if he's got any left.

Just whatever you do, don't use any adhesive to hold the RAM sinks on. It'll make selling the card a bit harder to do in some cases.
Thanks for the advice. I definitely want to be able top take them off if I need to.

evga covers replacing the stock cooler in their warranty and putting different thermal paste on their cards. However, you do have to put the original cooler back on the card to RMA it.

no prob. If you ever have any questions about evga's policies or warranty, just head over to their forums and people will explain it to you!

Also, for the ramsinks, I fancy arctic silver thermal adhesive. I had to remove some heatsinks from one card a while back which I had used ASTA on, and was able to carefully remove them. You can also "dilute" the mixture of the thermal adhesive with some arctic silver 5 to decrease the adhesive power. Also, gotta be careful no to let any squish over the sides of the chip, as its still conductive as heck, unlike AS5.

That's why when it comes to adhesive, you should use Artic Alumina Adhesive. A little harder to find, but it's better than chancing a circuit short out.

Adhesives arn't recomended for BGA chips. THere's been a few people who have gone ot remove them and tore the memory chip off in the process. Thus the reason I regret using AS Alumina adheshive on four of my first 7800GT's ram chips. :(

Celeron_Phreak said:
Nope. They arn't afriad of getting cards that have had swapped coolers or TIM, but they do ask that all original accessories packaging manuals and so forth are included or isntalled on the card.

wow, are you serious?? I thought I voided my warranty, but this is great. kudos to eVga :beer:

Back