• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a Hidden Bandwidth Limiter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DumpALump

I am searching for a bandwidth limiter that I can hide and password protect so that I can install it on our roommate's computer. She uses BT to download/upload illegal movies and uses up all our bandwidth. I just went into her room and checked and she was done downloading but became a seed using up the entire upload bandwidth. We have a very small max upload and so I want to set her upload to 5Kb/s. I just don't want her finding it and closing it, thats why it needs to be hidden. If it was limited to 5Kb/s she might not download so much from BT because she then wouldn't be able to use her internet connection.

Does anyone know of such a program?

BEFORE you take measures regarding installing software on a pc that is not yours, you and your other roomates should discuss the issue with said roomate and try to work it out. If that is not fruitfull, then install a linux box after your router (or before, or in place of the router) that would run smoothwall or IPcop. Both have modifications that can control network bandwith. Said box can be a cheap Pentium 2 pc w/128mb ram and 6gb hd. The're a dime a dozen, $20 tops. Smoothwall and IPcop are free.

Yeah there is alot of negative things that come of tweaking someones computer without them knowing. If she pays part of the bill at the very least figure how much she is entitled to. 5kB is a tiny amount and may not be part of her share. If your on dialup, that is about $9.95 worth of bandwidth.

If you split it up between users she should get the share that is paid for.

Enablingwolf said:
Yeah there is alot of negative things that come of tweaking someones computer without them knowing. If she pays part of the bill at the very least figure how much she is entitled to. 5kB is a tiny amount and may not be part of her share. If your on dialup, that is about $9.95 worth of bandwidth.

If you split it up between users she should get the share that is paid for.
I like that idea.

I'd also like to remind the OP that installing software without asking is also wrong. ;) Discuss it with the user at fault first.

Back