• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Dell Server deals

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SteveLord

my boss wants to purchase a server. im talkin cheap. first of all...

-i said cheap, i mean cheap. like celeron cheap. the cheapest one dell has with a celeron, 512ram and the cheapest SCSI equipment is over $700.

-he WANTS a SCSI setup on it, even if its costing him an extra $200+. i tried to convince him to go SATA, but he insists that Novell runs better with older technology like SCSI.

so if anyone knows good sites or places to get coupons/codes...it would be appreciated.

thanks.

Dell server deals were hot last month. Cheapest I saw was $299 shipped I think. If all he cares about is price+SCSI then why not buy a normal PC and slap a SCSI card in it? Are the cheap Dell 'servers' really any different than their desktops? If it's going to run Novell how about something older/used? Like a late-model dual P3 or P4 based system? you could probably snag a pretty sweet used server off eBay.

I check with slickdeals.net for dell deals. You might have to wait a bit though, the hot deals were mostly last month so the deals as of late have been luke-warm.

Are you planning on running Netware or OES or SLES on it? The later two are Linux and SATA will be no problem.

If you buy cheap, you get what you pay for. IBM has some refurb hardware that can be had pretty cheap. ITXchange is good for that sort of thing.

SteveLord said:
my boss wants to purchase a server. im talkin cheap. first of all...

-i said cheap, i mean cheap. like celeron cheap. the cheapest one dell has with a celeron, 512ram and the cheapest SCSI equipment is over $700.

-he WANTS a SCSI setup on it, even if its costing him an extra $200+. i tried to convince him to go SATA, but he insists that Novell runs better with older technology like SCSI.

so if anyone knows good sites or places to get coupons/codes...it would be appreciated.

thanks.

You got a PM man

Back