• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I feel really stupid asking this, but...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarkS

What does the 2-2-2-12 or 4-4-4-12 or whatever mean? I'm only now getting back into the hardware side of things after a 9 year absence. Memory technology has changed quite a bit in that time. The last time I paid any serious attention to hardware, DIMMs had just started replacing SIMMs. Heck, I remember when SIMM cards were the new thing with up to four figure pricing.

I take the number sequence to mean something about timing, but I figure each different number represents something and I do not know what. I'm building a computer and DO NOT like not knowing something!

MarkS said:
Thanks! :thup:

Now, what is the main differences between DDR and DDR2?

DDR2 has a different pin layout, slightly lower voltage, about the same/higher timings but much higher clockspeeds.

Last edited:
That is a great link. I cant count the number of people that I want to make watch that.

That link is old - but the principles still apply, especially to DDR ram. It tells you what the timings *actually* are...

Like someone else said, DDR2 is just higher fsb (and physical differences). Its designed to keep up with massive quad-pumped FSBs of current pentiums.

Since currently, amd chipsets dont have a multiplied fsb, they have no need for anything more than DDR, though very soon AMD will start using DDR2 too, which is a good thing :)

Back