• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your Ideas On Cooling Your XBOX360

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

My mates as like anyone else’s is getting rather hot under the collar after 1hr of playing a game any game. Do you have a cooling solution in use on your 360 or have you got any idea that I could pass on too him.

Mine NEVER gets hot and I have it set on top of the TV plus the power brick is not on the carpet. If his brick is not on carpet and his box is not stuffed into a cabinet or on top of something else that puts off heat like a receiver/amp then I've heard of people setting them on laptop cooling pads. I just must be lucky because heat is not an issue with mine which I got FEB 2006.

Could a box not be made for the 360 to sit on. The box could then have PC case fans on the under side of the top panel drawing the heat away. Could the fans be powered by the 360's USB ports or is that not possible?

He had it on top of his TV and the rear and underside where really warm I moved it onto the floor. And stood it vertically in a short of well ventilated area. I was thinking of laptop cooling pads as well I've seen one which is white has 2x 80mm fans in it and plugs into your USB socket for power.

Also welcome to the forums blue73

AngelfireUk83 said:
He had it on top of his TV and the rear and underside where really warm I moved it onto the floor. And stood it vertically in a short of well ventilated area. I was thinking of laptop cooling pads as well I've seen one which is white has 2x 80mm fans in it and plugs into your USB socket for power.

It vents out the back, so that should be fine and all electronics get hot on the bottom. If he isn't having problems with it I wouldn't worry about those 2 places being warm.

I think madcatz or someone makes a plastic stand with fans in the bottom though. I've seen a few cooling solutions at my local EB.

Here is something similar:

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2005/12/08/360-cooling-stand-but-what-about-the-psu/

Don't laugh Guys but I've seen this fella on QVC UK during Home Entertainment hours (honestly thats all I watch it for):rolleyes: . He sells this Laptop Cooler for that reason. It sits on Yer lap gives Yer PC fairly good ventilation and keeps Yer lap cool. Could You not use the same thing sat under Your 360 while its in/on the shelf or cabinet plugged into a USB port. I think its only about £15 or so, though I maybe wrong.

AngelfireUk83 said:

I'll bet your thinking of the same one I saw. It's pretty cheap too, like $20US.

You could do one of these mods but they will all void your warranty.

Xbox 360 Thermal Upgrade/cooling Tutorial

12v Fan Mod Tutorial

Water Cooled Xbox 360

Personally I'm just going to get that fan that attaches to the back and I just discovered that the stand on which my Xbox360 sits is pretty hot because my Comcast HD receiver is right bellow it and it has ventilation slots on top so it releases heat directly on the 360.

I'll need to think of something to keep it cool.

Do you think when they switch to 65nm for the CPU they'll upgrade the cooling system slightly. This is supposed to happen in early 2007 if I'm right?

My 360 was always fine, but I set the power supply/block on a milk crate/Coke crate :)

AngelfireUk83 said:
Do you think when they switch to 65nm for the CPU they'll upgrade the cooling system slightly. This is supposed to happen in early 2007 if I'm right?

I doubt it, the 65nm will probably be naturally cooler, but most of the heat is being put off by the ATI video card, not the CPU and MS insists that there is no cooling problem and that the ones that overheated was due to being placed in enclosed cabinets or having the power brick smothered. I believe they stated that the number that are TRUELY defective is 1-3% which is better than the average on any consumer electronics, the rest is just due to negligence. I tend to believe them on this issue because they've addressed it, told people why they were getting hot and haven't hidden anything. Sony on the other hand never publicized anything about their bad drives.

Sony never even said what the problems where with the 1st line of PS2's just send it back and it'll get replaced. I do believe also that Microsoft are telling the truth my mate has rang the game store where he bought it from. They replace it with another console if he brings it in with his packaging after when he showed them what it did to he Oblivion disc.

They wanted him to bring it in for a replacement.

Id hate to say it for such an expensive pice of equipment, but if you know what your doing and are very careful, open it and mod it for cooling. I have an original xbox, one of the 1.6 versions with poor cooling. I openend it, put another fan in there, replaced the time, and used a laptop cpu fan to duct and cool the gpu as there was no fan on it. It's been perfectly cool to the touch since.

Back