• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

venice 3000+ or opty 144?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pejsaboy

ok guys, doing a bit of research in case the summer has enough overtime to afford a bigger upgrade than a highend agp card. i've got a couple questions regarding the opty 144 and venice 3000+
1st- is the opty's extra l2 cache worth paying for, and why? right now, there's a ~$50 price difference on newegg.
2nd- aside from the unlocked multi [and the extra cache of course], are there any other pros to going with the opty over the venice?
i know am2 is right around the corner, but i'm not ready to upgrade that much. i just got a set of ballistix that needs to be used for a while :)

I would go with the Opteron, they are really overclocking nicely. The recent Venice 3000+ has had some crappy stepping (NBBWE i think). My friend recieved one and its absolute trash at overclocking. I dont think Opterons come with an unlocked upwards multi.

I would go with the Opty. They seem to be clocking a lot better than the newer Venice chips. You might be better off picking one up at the classifides section of these or other forums.

you might just wanna wait for AM2 IMHO. In fact, ncix.com is already accepting orders on AM2 products.

Why pay more for 15% if any increases with AM2?

He hes looking for a cheaper chip / combo he should defiently look at these 2 procs, either are very nice. Opterons are always nice with the 1mb cache.

tech9 said:
Why pay more for 15% if any increases with AM2?

He hes looking for a cheaper chip / combo he should defiently look at these 2 procs, either are very nice. Opterons are always nice with the 1mb cache.
exactly. i'm looking for a cheaper upgrade possibility, and sticking to 939 allows me to keep my ddr1 ballistix. thus, saving a bit more money.
sounds like the opteron will be a better bang/buck idea with better clocks and more cache. since the venices are having a bit of trouble lately it seems, i wonder if the opty's have any less desirable steppings?

I have heard of some bad Opteron steppings but even then they still OC very nice. Recently, ive seen nothing but good things from Opteron chips.

Yes, by allmeans go with the Opti, but you can get much better deals than Newegg. I got mine at Monarch and got an oem for less than I would have paid for a Venice. You can always pick up a good cooler from SVC for cheap and you wouldn't want to OC with the stock cooler as these things put out some heat.

rseven said:
Yes, by allmeans go with the Opti, but you can get much better deals than Newegg. I got mine at Monarch and got an oem for less than I would have paid for a Venice. You can always pick up a good cooler from SVC for cheap and you wouldn't want to OC with the stock cooler as these things put out some heat.
i guess i'll have to have another look at monarch. the last time i went to their site, the layout of it all bugged the crap outta me. that and the prices on stuff i was looking at was more than i could find it elsewhere, so...
good to know they do have better prices on some things though, thanks!

Yes, Monarch has improved their service and prices in the past year. I'm not the only member that has noticed an improvement. They are still not Newegg, but they are worth checking out.

pejsaboy said:
1st- is the opty's extra l2 cache worth paying for, and why? right now, there's a ~$50 price difference on newegg.
2nd- aside from the unlocked multi [and the extra cache of course], are there any other pros to going with the opty over the venice?

1st : go with the opty.... the extra cache worth the money definitely
2nd: there's no unlocked multi to the opty's...

Go with the opty bacause it oc's better and with the extra cache you can match the performance or more of an FX...

I don't know if these coupon codes are still active. I got my 165 with the coupon below and it was only $270.00. 25 bucks less than an X2 3800+ on Newegg. And monarch uses fedex, which is nice. Also, Monarch doesn't charge me sales tax :eek: That alone makes it worth it for me over here in California. You still can't beat Newegg's service though, but Monarch lately has had some really good deals. Here's the coupons:

monarch

1. AMD Opteron 146 Coupon Code: 51206-120331 $70.00 Off
2. AMD Opteron 148 Coupon Code: 51206-120333 $45.00 Off
3. AMD Opteron 165 Coupon Code: 51206-120339 $70.00 Off
4. AMD Opteron 170 Coupon Code: 51206-120341 $35.00 Off
5. AMD Opteron 175 Coupon Code: 51206-120343 $50.00 Off

There's no 144, but if the coupons still work, maybe a 146 is worth the few extra bucks.

I just verified that the coupon code above does, in fact, still work. You can get a 146 (OEM) for $157.00. That's cheaper than the 144 on newegg. I'd say go for the opteron.

thanks for the coupon codes Burninate. i'll definitely try them out when i get a chance to order something.

striker85 said:
What exactly is the difference between an opteron and normal athlon of comparable speeds besides the L2 cache?
from what i gather, the only other difference is that they overclock better than the athlons. something had me thinking they also had unlocked multis, but i guess that's only the FX's.

Back