• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking at fedora core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inkfx

Well im interested in getting Linux running on my FTP server but ive got one problem. I plan on downloading it from this site, http://fedora.redhat.com/. My problem is I dont know how to get .ISO files on a CD or a DVD, im sure its pretty simple ive just never done it before. Thanks.

Most applications that allow you to burn software has an option to "Burn as an ISO" underneath the "Data" section of ways to burn.

You can give Fedora a try, but for anything long term I would urge you to try something that is not RPM based, I think you will find it to be much easier to install/uinstall/upgrade software packages using a package manager such as apt-get.

For a server I would say debian stable would be a good choice.

http://www.debian.org

khiloa said:
You can give Fedora a try, but for anything long term I would urge you to try something that is not RPM based, I think you will find it to be much easier to install/uinstall/upgrade software packages using a package manager such as apt-get.

For a server I would say debian stable would be a good choice.

http://www.debian.org

Fedora Core has yum which is a package manager that is just as easy to use as apt-get. Some people have commented before that it is a 'sloppy' implementation of a package manager because it is a python script, but I have never had any problems with it.

yum is not a packagemanager. RPM is. yum is a downloader and automatic dependency resolver and a frontend to rpm.

All that said: neither rpm nor yum are the problem but the packages themselves. They just aren't made with enough care and the lack of central repositories, with each packagesource doing it "their way(tm)", makes rpm distros simply unmaintainable over the long term.

rrcoot said:
Fedora Core has yum which is a package manager that is just as easy to use as apt-get. Some people have commented before that it is a 'sloppy' implementation of a package manager because it is a python script, but I have never had any problems with it.

The Gentoo package manager, Portage, is also written in Python. That in no way makes it "sloppy."

I dont think I will be using this long term. I just wanted something Linux and a friend of mine suggested this so I thought "why not?". I havn't gotten a chance to burn the CDs untill tonight. I hope everything goes smoothly.

One of the best things about linux is there's no need to commit to a specific distro. Download and burn them all. Try each one for a week or so. Come back to the ones that you like. If you get to a dead end, try to find a way out. If you break it, keep starting over until you don't break it, or learn how to fix it.

That's one thing I'll say about all of these distros. I've always learned ~something. I can tell you what I've learned, but it won't stick until you do it for yourself.

Fedora, isn't a "bad" distro. It's just that there are better choices. The kicker is that the "best" choice seems to be dependant on the person's comfort zone with linux. That only comes with time.

In an ideal world, the easiest distro would also be the best. However, linux's GNU library of software and driver development could hardly be considered - ideal. Therefore, it is very important that the user educates him/herself in a myriad of subjects; in order to be a "holistic" linux user.

Well I seem to have run into a little problem when trying to format the computer. I burned Fedora Core onto 5 CDs using Nero 7 Ultra Edition. I turn the computer on and stick in disk 1, the computer boots but when it comes time to install the OS it just goes to a black screen with a little white underscore blinking at the top. Do you think it didnt burn properly or maybe there is something else wrong?

I recommend you check out PCLinuxOS- I CD to burn, and if you like the Live CD, then you can very easily install it.

And updating is a breeze.

inkfx said:
Well I seem to have run into a little problem when trying to format the computer. I burned Fedora Core onto 5 CDs using Nero 7 Ultra Edition. I turn the computer on and stick in disk 1, the computer boots but when it comes time to install the OS it just goes to a black screen with a little white underscore blinking at the top. Do you think it didnt burn properly or maybe there is something else wrong?

Does it give you any info on uncompressing kernel or anything prior to switching to the black screen??

I know that on the work lappie (Compaq NC6000) the first time I tried to load Ubuntu for whatever reason it hung for a bit. I thought it had crashed so I rebooted and the installer ran without a hitch.

I tried to learn on Redhat about 2 or so years ago, my suggestion is find a better distro to use. Fedora probably has gotten better but I have learned 30x as much from 2 weeks of use with Ubuntu as I did in 2 months of :bang head with Redhat.

Adragontattoo said:
Does it give you any info on uncompressing kernel or anything prior to switching to the black screen??

No, it doesnt tell me anything. I just see the BIOS screen then the POST screen and after that it just goes straight to the black screen with the blinking underscore. Do you think maybe it has something to do with the boot priority? I could check but it wouldn't be untill tomorrow.

Back