• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Partition Moving

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zetal

I'm planning on replacing my IDE hard drive with a SATA II. The IDE was just a temporary solution for the fact I was a little low on money (I had an IDE on hand at the time from my last computer). It's now getting closer to the time I'll be getting a SATA II drive. With that in mind, I'm hoping I can just transfer the partition from the IDE hard drive over to the SATA. Keep in mind, both hard drives will be in the computer until I have everything copied.

Do you guys know of any good programs or methods to accomplish this? I really don't want to have to just scrap everything again. There are a few of my games that I really don't want to have to update since that takes quite a bit of time to update. But I've heard that partition copying isn't as clean cut as you would think. A lot of people I've talked to have been able to copy everything but they end up having to reinstall all their applications.

One last thing, people tend to say Ghost is a good program but I've heard from a family friend that he hates Ghost and thought it did a pretty crappy job compared to some other programs. ...there's also the fact that I don't like a lot of Symantec's programs. There have been so many times I've had people call me up because their network isn't working and it is because a Norton product crashed and they didn't notice.

Thanks for any help.

It seems to me that your wanting to do an image, not moving a partion on a single drive, there are plenty of applications for this purpose, gost being the old fav.
moving a partion on the same drive is more delicate of an operaiton IIRC.

greenmaji said:
It seems to me that your wanting to do an image, not moving a partion on a single drive, there are plenty of applications for this purpose, gost being the old fav.
moving a partion on the same drive is more delicate of an operaiton IIRC.

Yeap editing the hds partion table is no fun... and if you have files near the edge of the partion they = toast.

Back