• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally, 820d and ecs 945p v1.1 success

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC4life

After a few months frustration trying to overclock my frys combo 820d an ecs 945p-a v1.1 I finally had success. The problem was that the motherboard would not allow more that a 10% overclock w/ the pcie/pci bus locked. anything more than 10% running asynch would not post and obviosly running synchronous busses would make the sata crap out after about 15% OC.

Finally I decided to do a "pad mod" and change the bsel pins so that the chip would read as a 1066fsb chip (puts it @ 3.75 on bootup). The first time I tried this it would not post, assuming that its due the the stock vcore being to low to boot it @ 3.75 I had to figure out how to raise the stock vcore. Came about a post on HARDOCP that gave a diagram to up the stock vcore up to 1.465 by using a circuitwriter pen to connect a couple of pins on the chip. Sure enough it works. Im now stable @ 3.75 w/ 1.475v @ 59c loaded and 4.0ghz w.1.525v and 64c loaded.

If anyone wants to try this let me know and I will post the links. THe same forum had 630's in a DELL doing 4.0ghz at stock vcore using the "pad mod".

Nice work. I would have given up on that board long before modding but I love the determination...good job :beer:

LOL, after 4 hours of priming i guess the board couldnt cut it anymore and completely blew out on me. THe processor is still ok but Im guessing the capacitors just suck and couldnt take the 820's high power consumption. So much for determination...... it just killed a perfectly good board. Ill rma it this week and then get rid of it on ebay.

OC4life said:
it just killed a perfectly good board.
Hardly, you killed and ECS. I'd spend as much effort as you did to avoid using one, not in order to.

Its always more of a challenge using those ecs boards. I guess I lost the ECS challenge this time.

OC4life said:
Its always more of a challenge using those ecs boards.
Heh, you have mastered the art of understatement (and maybe a thing for pain, too :)).

Took the board back to frys and they switched it out for me. So far the new one is working jsut as good and hasnt randomly crapped out on me. Im not sure why I like these cheap ECS boards so much. I guess asus just makes it a little to easy to have a fast computer.

From my understanding Fry's will swap out to the motherboard you want for a little extra $$$ when you buy one of there ECS combo deals, returning blown hardware is bad news :( Did you tell them you moded it?

I didnt mod the board, just the chip. It should run a EE 1066fsb chip at default but wouldnt do it w/ a 820. Im not ripping frys off. if the chip would have blown I would have bought a new one. The board had no reason to crap out except it was a crappy board and couldnt do what it said it could (support 1066fsb)

OC4life said:
I didnt mod the board, just the chip. It should run a EE 1066fsb chip at default but wouldnt do it w/ a 820. Im not ripping frys off. if the chip would have blown I would have bought a new one. The board had no reason to crap out except it was a crappy board and couldnt do what it said it could (support 1066fsb)

OK OK.. I got it.. you didn't mod the mobo. thats cool. :beer:

I kinda doubt they have too many peps popping a EE chip (native 1066fsb) in them anyway (1K proc. in a cheapo mobo?? LOL) so this problem isn't too likely to happen normaly.

I kinda doubt they have too many peps popping a EE chip (native 1066fsb) in them anyway (1K proc. in a cheapo mobo?? LOL) so this problem isn't too likely to happen normaly.

my thoughts exactly

OOh, put me down as the 2nd person to do the 1066 mod and running in an ECS mobo. I did this 2 weeks ago and so far so good (knock on wood). I can imagine that the power draw from the cpu running at 1066 is close to or above the maximum that the ECS engineers spec'ed.

They may have planned for an EE at 1066, but definitely not a 630 or 820 at 1066, which draw more power than an EE at those speeds.

ATF 2GTalon said:
I can imagine that the power draw from the cpu running at 1066 is close to or above the maximum that the ECS engineers spec'ed.

ECS has engineers? :eek:

I have had a lot of success (and failures) with ecs boards. They are sooooo tempting because of the price and they are really starting to come around on OC'ing bios fuctions. THe NF4 board was awesome with my x2.

Here is a link to the hardOCP thread that has DETAILED pad mod pics and instructions, check pages 4-6

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=903623

Back