• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I know comparison questions are annoying... but...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadow6107

Registered
I've been doing some research on parts for the new PC I'm building, but I've found a dilemma, and I am getting different opinions all over the place. But, in my new PC, would I be better off with two 256MB eVGA 7900GT's in SLI or a single 512 eVGA 7900GTX? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

-Michael

The single 7900GTX with 512MB of VRAM will beat out the 256MB VRAM 7900GT's in SLI at medium - low resolutions. It will be a close call at higher resolutions with everything maxed out. I would definitly go with the single 7900GTX with 512MB of VRAM. My reasons being the 7900GTX is cheaper, will beat the SLI'ed 7900GT's at medium - low resolutions, wont be as hot as two 7900GT's, two 7900GT's will put alot of stress on your PSU, and you could always buy a second 7900GTX when they are lower in price and your video card cant keep up.

Actually, that sounds good, my monitor (until I upgrade to a nice LCD one) has a max resolution of 1280x1024, and I suppose when I upgrade monitors, I'll toss another 7900GTX in there if I can, thanks for the advice!

So now that's more or less cleared up, how do you think this PC will run in comparison to the one laid out in my sig?

NEW PC PLAN:

Aspire X-Discovery Case
Aspire 600W PSU
One 120mm Exhaust Fan
Three 80mm Intake Fans (1 side, 2 front)

ASUS A8N SLI Motherboard
AMD Athlon64 x2 4400+
2GB OCZ Platinum Series RAM
250GB Western Digital SATA-II HDD
eVGA GeForce 7900 GTX
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 Audio

Shadow6107 said:
So now that's more or less cleared up, how do you think this PC will run in comparison to the one laid out in my sig?

NEW PC PLAN:

Aspire X-Discovery Case
Aspire 600W PSU
One 120mm Exhaust Fan
Three 80mm Intake Fans (1 side, 2 front)

ASUS A8N SLI Motherboard
AMD Athlon64 x2 4400+
2GB OCZ Platinum Series RAM
250GB Western Digital SATA-II HDD
eVGA GeForce 7900 GTX
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 Audio
Asus motherboard tend to be picky when it comes to PSU's, I learned the hard way. I had an Antec HE 550W PSU and my computer would shut down randomly. After doing tons of research I found out that Asus motherboards do not work well with Antec PSU's. Now that I have a Sparkle 510W PSU my computer has been 100% stable. I would recommend this PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103478

As for the processor I would go with the Opteron 165 which has been going for insanely low prices lately.

Aspire is not
known for good psu. For that system i would get a powerstream 520, a zippy, or a pc&p 510. Also, why not wait for conroe?

Asus motherboard tend to be picky when it comes to PSU's, I learned the hard way. I had an Antec HE 550W PSU and my computer would shut down randomly. After doing tons of research I found out that Asus motherboards do not work well with Antec PSU's. Now that I have a Sparkle 510W PSU my computer has been 100% stable. I would recommend this PSU

Got any links to prove this, I'm not doubting, just would like some proof seeing I'm selling my rig, and am going to put a cheap Antec in it for a buddy of mine, he's not getting my Powerstream

dicecca112 said:
Got any links to prove this, I'm not doubting, just would like some proof seeing I'm selling my rig, and am going to put a cheap Antec in it for a buddy of mine, he's not getting my Powerstream
a 3.3v line is just like any other 3.3v line. My money says he had a bad PSU.

Michael Warren said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103478

As for the processor I would go with the Opteron 165 which has been going for insanely low prices lately.

What he said. Get the Opteron 165 and an OCZ 520 ADJ SLI. You will not be disappointed. You want to look for a PSU with a large (26+ amp) 12v rail.

i can agree with what they are saying about asus mobo's and antec psu's.. i had to get another psu because the rails were off or something and iw ould get reboots

ok, so I've heard that the 7900 GTX would beat two 7900 GT's, but did anyone say why?

oh, I did see for cooling issues, but really, two GT's would have 48 pipelines together, and the GTX by itself would only have 24, correct? collectively the two GT's would be faster too, right? ...bah, I don't know, why would one GTX beat two GT's?

Last edited:
I would also suggest getting an A8N32-SLI Deluxe mobo instead of the one you're going to get. The main reason is the A8N32-SLI Deluxe is a true 16X sli board. The other takes one 16X channel and splits it up into 8X. The main thing with this is, if you plan on getting two high end video cards you'll want the mobo that supports two full 16X channels so you're not hampering your graphics cards effectiveness.

Oh hmm I really don't know how much of a difference it makes, but it seems to me like it would make a difference.

Back