• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The real performance difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aibo

Registered
The Conroe, is it really that break neck, balls out fast that if I were to get a 930 Presler and put on a Micro ATX mobo and stuff it in a Aspire X-QPack with a 7600GT, 2GB ram, 160GB HD that it would make that absolutely obsolete? I'm tired of this other 478 rig, everything has been beaten do death, it can't even play WoW barely anymore (2.8GHZ Prescott, 512MB ram, 80GB HD, FX5700 Ultra). I want to be able to hook up the little box to my girlfriend's dad's 50" Sony Grand Wega HDTV and enjoy playing Doom 3 and the like on it with surround sound. Instead of lugging around a full size case.

I intend to play games like Half life 2: Aftermath, and the more Battlefields and UT 2007 with nearly all high settings.

Could that 930 I ****tily described do that? Would it last you think? Or would I be better off doing a ATX build, SLI 7600 GT's, OC a 805 to 3.5GHz, 2GB ram? I'm in a budget if you wondering why I switched to a 805 for that build.

I really just don't want to frickin' wait until July (probably will end up being September) and have this P.O.S running games like HL2: Aftermath.

Or should I just wait for the damned Conroe? I would rather stay away from AMD, some of you may be like, you're a stupid ****er and wtf you want performance blah blah, I'm a nut when it comes to having the latest technology even if it isn't 134918401934x better then the previous (i'm speaking of ddr2), it's just the way I am, plus I never had good expierences with AMD, unless someone can give me some incentive? But I also don't want to be the guy in November with ddr ram and everyone else has ddr2.

Meh... that 478 can play wow, likley there are other problems killing wow framerates such as network lag. Give that current rig a full gig, and maybe up the video to a 6600 something or other if you realy cant stand it.

If you are indeed on a budget... wait for the conroe! get a low to mid range conroe when it comes out, and pour the rest of your available funds into video. Oh and get 2gb of ram, cause ill kill you if you skimp there.

I never had good expierences with AMD
Have you had any bad experiences with them, or are you just afraid to try a different company?

But yeah, that current rig should be able to play WoW, just up the RAM to 1GB (that's practically required for high graphics MMORPGs like WoW)

Well, see, WoW isn't the game I want to play only, I want to be able to play games like HL2: Aftermath and Oblivion at max settings and be smooth as butter (perhaps a few bread crumbs in the butter but that's ok).

I think I just wanted to hear someone say "**** the 478 system, get something newer", ha!

I suppose I could wait for the Conroe, I'm just impatient, I want something small, mobile, and will last me a year with med/high settings in any game I want. But I suppose that's something I cannot achieve, atleast on my budget.

I'm sure an SLI 7600GT with 2GB ram and a 930 presler would be a formidible machine, no?

I had a lot of DOA's on AMD's Thunderbird processors and it was a huge ordeal and I just said **** the whole thing and went Intel. I've never had a real problem with Intel so I just stick with them, plus they have the newest technology even if it's not the fastest (blind, stupid **** I be), they have ddr2, they have 65nm, they have the cool stuff.

Sleepy_Steve said:
Meh... that 478 can play wow, likley there are other problems killing wow framerates such as network lag. Give that current rig a full gig, and maybe up the video to a 6600 something or other if you realy cant stand it.

If you are indeed on a budget... wait for the conroe! get a low to mid range conroe when it comes out, and pour the rest of your available funds into video. Oh and get 2gb of ram, cause ill kill you if you skimp there.
he knows what he's talking about, I got 2x512mb of RAM.... HUUUGGEEE MISTAKE

im hoping once am2/conroe comes out and DDR2 becomes more mainstream a nice set of 2x1gb ram will be cheap and i could sell my 512 sticks

but yeah the fx series sucks, all of it. 512mb of ram is the minimum for having a good winxp/internet/music ect.. experience - play a game with it and your boned

find a cheap 512 stick of ram and you're good to go for now(the vid card should be fine when playing wow, just not any fast-paced fps or anything)

waiting won't be too bad, but for now another 512 stick should hold you out

Soichiro said:
7900GT>SLI 7600GT, plus there's only 1 Intel chipset that supports SLI, and it's expensive ($200+ for a mobo)

exactly what i was thinking. And it would be about 100 bucks cheaper for the 7900gt.

wait for conroe...just calm down and wait :)

Back