• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MB holding me back ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speedmonkay

Ok I have my A64 3000+ Venice @275x9 1.55vcore and my RAM is at 133 so my speeds are at like 2475MHz (up from 1800). If I try to kick up the CPU frequency any higher (anything past 275 with HTx3) when it boots up again, right after POST it will say something about my CPU frequency is too high - Entering CPU safe mode. It give me the option to either hit DEL to enter setup or hit F1 to continue. If I continue into XP and check my speeds (either with CPU-Z or Windows) it shows my processor back at stock speeds. My motherboard is a Biostar NF4UL-A9. Is it holding me back ? If so does anyone know how to get around thing ? Or do I need to knock my memory down to 100MHz to kick it up higher ?
(If you find this to be a pointless "DUH"-kind-of question sorry it is my first OC I am working on)

Nooooooooooooooooooooo say it aint so .....
I got the board last year when I didnt really plan on OCin too much. I got it cause Im a nVidia freak and it had the NF4 chipset and supported my AGP video card plus it had a nice price ...
I wont accept it ... there must be a way to go faster ...

Yes, you may go slightly higher with another mobo, but it would not be very cost efficient to replace it. Your Venice core may have another 100 to 200 MHz in it, (accent on MAY!) and you will spend quite a few dollars on a new mobo to get it with no guarantee of success.

I have the same processor, speedmonkey. I have it at 280x9 rigt now. I keep thinking it can go faster, but you may be at the limit of your processor. Keep tweaking, adjusting memory, voltages and mulitpliers to see what you can get. But from the looks of it, like rseven said, you may or may not be at the peak of what your processor can do.

Actually Biostar calls it XGP and it doesnt support all AGP i think. Works for me so Im happy.

But I would be happier I wasnt getting those messages during POST. When I get home I was going to play with it more. Drain and reroute tubing. Mess with multipliers and frequency. See if dropping it to a HTTx2 and 300 frequency would still give me the error. I saw an article where someone kicked their 3000+ Venice up to just shy of 2800MHz so I know faster is possible.

Back