• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3700+ vs 3200+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CobraXP

ok i have a 3700+ i know can only clock to about 2.6GHz...and i have a 3200+ Venice that i can pull fomr my laptops(its a 939) is it worth trying to make that run at 2.7+ or shoudl i just buy the 2.0 dual opteron and say screw it?

The odds are that the 3700 will OC better, plus it has a 1mb L2 cache. If you can afford to go dual core then of course that would be the best solution.

CobraXP said:
ok i have a 3700+ i know can only clock to about 2.6GHz...and i have a 3200+ Venice that i can pull fomr my laptops(its a 939) is it worth trying to make that run at 2.7+ or shoudl i just buy the 2.0 dual opteron and say screw it?
My guess would be that your laptop would not have a S939 chip . It would, in all probability be a S754 chip (an A64 or a Turion). I have not seen any mainstream laptop come with S939 CPU's. The only exception I have seen is Alienware. So, your idea may not work. While upgrading to an Opty 165 is a good idea, now is not the time to do so. Let socket AM2 come out first, then the prices on the S939 Opterons would drop. If 2.7GHz is your target, try fine tuning your overclocking techniques. You may end up successfully hitting 2.7. :)

If you are certain, it is worth a shot. You could use the OCForums database to look up information on your stepping. Note that it would be a bit of a downgrade from your San-Deigo. That extra 512 kb cache helps. On the plus side, you can expect fairly decent memory performance (i.e memory OC's better). Remember that all what I have said depends on the stepping of your Venice.

a 3200+ venice at 2.7 will not really give you much performance advantage over a 3700+ SD at 2.6. In fact, it may actually give slightly lower performance because the Venice has half the cache. To get better performance out ofthe Venice you'd probably have to get the 3200+ to 2.8+

if you want to reach higher than 2.6Ghz you would be best off getting a better stepping 3700+ SD, opteron 146 or 148, or get a dual core. the dual core opteron 165's almost all get to 2.6Ghz without problems. Then it would be like 2 of your cpus put together

i would try to OC the 3700 a bit more, just get a new cpu hsf and mess around, i bet you could hit 2.7

Don't bother with the 3200... it's not worth the try.Keep the 3700 and OC as much as you can.The best of course is to get a dual core an opteron of course and OC it... you 'll see a big difference in performance... and don't laptops have 754 CPU'S?

Back