• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best card for 3dMAX 4 and cool games under 180 $ (not Matrox)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vovan

Hi!
I got Radeon 64 DDR and I am searching for a cooler video card?
I think the best would be RADEON 7500, or ...?
Has anybody other ideas. I've heard good thinks about G Force .
Thanks!

Vovan said:
Hi!
Thanks!

Whats wrong with your Radeon 64 DDR vivo?? Which clock/mem speed is it. If it is 166/166 or 183/183 someone just posted how you can flash the card bios to the second edtition clk/mem speed of 198/198. It may be on the first or second video card page.

I have a second edition card running at 231.75/231.75 (mem at 463) I am pretty sure soon as I put on my lapped blue orb and ramsinks this card should run 250/500. Quizn, another board member has his at 246/492 solid as a rock.

You really don't need much more than that plus the card supports dx8 and has other features that are just beginning to be used by newer games. Best 2d video quality and dvd playback by far. Also try the 7530 Win2K driver if you are running XP or Win 2k they are much better than the 3276 or 3102 drivers.

In my opinion I would flash your bios and then mod it and overclock it. Save your money cause for now, thats your best bet by far.

Cisco Kid;)

Vovan said:
Hi!
Thanks!

Might wanna hold off another month, then pick-up a Radeon 8500.

If you're seriously looking for a video card to go with 3DMAX 4, you don't want a Radeon or a GeForce, of any kind. You want one of those very expensive cards that are built for 3D modeling, not gaming. The ones that cost $500+...

But since you want to play too, a Radeon or a GeForce has to do... GeForce has good OpenGL support, I don't know about Radeon (never had one). Radeon has better image quality atleast.

asmodean said:
If you're seriously looking for a video card to go with 3DMAX 4, you don't want a Radeon or a GeForce, of any kind. You want one of those very expensive cards that are built for 3D modeling, not gaming. The ones that cost $500+...

But since you want to play too, a Radeon or a GeForce has to do... GeForce has good OpenGL support, I don't know about Radeon (never had one). Radeon has better image quality atleast.

Yea, but it's more like $1000+

Those Oxygen cards are pricey, but they're made for CAD and 3dMax type apps.

Re: Re: What is the best card for 3dMAX 4 and cool games under 180 $ (not Matrox)

Cisco Kid said:

Whats wrong with your Radeon 64 DDR vivo?? Which clock/mem speed is it. If it is 166/166 or 183/183 someone just posted how you can flash the card bios to the second edtition clk/mem speed of 198/198. It may be on the first or second video card page.

I have a second edition card running at 231.75/231.75 (mem at 463) I am pretty sure soon as I put on my lapped blue orb and ramsinks this card should run 250/500. Quizn, another board member has his at 246/492 solid as a rock.

You really don't need much more than that plus the card supports dx8 and has other features that are just beginning to be used by newer games. Best 2d video quality and dvd playback by far. Also try the 7530 Win2K driver if you are running XP or Win 2k they are much better than the 3276 or 3102 drivers.

In my opinion I would flash your bios and then mod it and overclock it. Save your money cause for now, thats your best bet by far.

Cisco Kid;)

I ve got card of OEM (bulk) type, clocked at 166 both. I use RadeonTweaker to clock it to 182.

I have tried to clock it higher with this tweaker, but it simply locks up.

What is a ´secon edition´. Thats 198 sound pretty cool. By the way I have a P1 cooler on GPU and hunday 5ns memory. (sorry if I typed it wrong, just a silly name)

Where can I get this update stuff???? Should I rise the voltage ?

230 Mhz sound really cool!:eek:

The cheapest decent card for 3D Max will set you back about $300 for the Oxygen VX1. I am a Lightwave user and find my GeForce II MX pretty well up to the task. The only time the card seems to struggle is during Open GL previews, it copes very well with realtime textures and OGL lensflares. The advantage of the more expensive cards is they have Glint processors which are full hardware acceleration for Open GL.
If you are using the Hardware assisted card for games playing you will find them a bit of a dissappointment unless the game is OpenGL. Otherwise they pretty much blow anything Nvidia/ATI produces for the games market out of the water. Really any hardware designed for CAD/3D is going to cost mega bucks

Re: Re: Re: What is the best card for 3dMAX 4 and cool games under 180 $ (not Matrox)

Vovan said:

I ve got card of OEM (bulk) type, clocked at 166 both. I use RadeonTweaker to clock it to 182.

I have tried to clock it higher with this tweaker, but it simply locks up.

What is a ´secon edition´. Thats 198 sound pretty cool. By the way I have a P1 cooler on GPU and hunday 5ns memory. (sorry if I typed it wrong, just a silly name)

Where can I get this update stuff???? Should I rise the voltage ?

230 Mhz sound really cool!:eek:

Second Edition is the last type of radeon 64 DDR vivo's made with the highest clk/mem settings. Search back a few pages there is a bios flash for your card that someone posted that allows you to flash to 198/198. Then you can overclock to higher if you have the 5ns ram you say you do. I did not think the OEM cards came with that , I believe they got 6ns ram, I will see if I can find the post.

I love my card ......

Cisco Kid:)

get an expensive ogl card for 3ds, if you use any "consumer" card out with a good processor, your software render will be a LOT faster than the vid card hardware.

ANY consumer 3d card is unacceptable (slower than software) to use for high end proggies like 3ds. get a fast comp, and use the software rendering option. then all you have to do is decide which 3d card you want for gaming.

Back