• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help hiding old mods.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Magictoaster_v2

Registered
So like the title says I need some help hiding some old mods on my CM stacker.

Originally I had a 2x120mm rad mounted in the top of the case, the new mod has a 3X120 mounted in the front.

The problem is I still have the fan cut outs and mounting holes on the top of the case. My Idea was to turn the top into a window, this would take care of the big fan holes and look pretty sweet too. This does not solve the problem entirley though. I still have 4 screw holes pretty close to the edges of the case that I need to hide. Because of the restrictions in bend radius and thickness of the molding I can't make the window any bigger so I need something elese to hide them.

I thought of using "bondo or some other filler but then I realized that I would than have to paint the case or it would look ugly being part aluminum and part bondo.

So Im stuck.

Any thoughts

Thanks in advance
The toaster

Just use solder. Build it up and then buff it out. It should make the hide close enough where you may not notice it.

They make aluminum epxoy. It should not stand out like a turd in a punch bowl. As JBweld would. Even then it would not be as bad as bondo.

Lowes and Home Depot sell plastic plugs for filling unwanted holes.

They will look like small buttons, but will look better than the empty hole.

Actualy, I have this same problem, the guy that had the case before me cut a gapping hole in the top of my lian li PC-71 for his rad, but decided against it. What I am doing is pretty much a fully custom fangrill/fan mount assembly using 1/16" gap mesh/grill, 1/8" aluminum plate, and 6-32 bolts and lock nuts for mounting to the case, and mounting my 120mm fans to it.

There's this sweet stuff called "Alumaloy" that would work well. www.alumaloy.net

Or some nice chromed allen head bolts might look good. Similar to these but high polished to be really shiny.

allenhead2.jpg

Back