• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

server suggestions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gorilly

just wanted your feedback,

currently have a SBS2003 server which is a DC, DHCP server, File Server, then i have about 30 workstations running form it. then have a Server2003 with SQL for database

We are going to be opening a second office with another 15 workstations, undoubtly they will need to access the shares / database etc...

would also be nice to impliment things like GPOs and security features so im guessing the remote computer would need to be on the same domin OR on another domain with a relationship to our current one?

whats the best option to do this?

a bridge over the net? VPN? etc etc, also am i right in thinking this is leased line / sdsl territory? a 256k upload just wont hack it will it?

first time i've needed to link offices!

thanks!

Linking offices is not really a big problem. Call your ISP, ask them if they have anything for that, call around to different telco's and power companies, what you are looking for is a "LAN extension". Not sure what is available in the UK though.

If you are not familliar with networking, then you will want to learn it, (at least basic routing). Most LAN extensions will come with a router for each side, for example, if you just assign 192.168.0.0/24 to one side, and 192.168.1.0/24 to the other side, and it should do everything in between.

Brush up on your Active Directory a bit... you need to create a new DC at the other location, and join it to the domain... create a new "site" and put the new DC in it, assign the subnets that are in each site, and that will let your users find the closest DC to log into.

File sharing over a WAN link is a pain, you may consider a replication process, depending on the amount of bandwidth you have, microsoft has some tools for replicating files on the DC around, but there are other things, like Novell iFolder, which may be more convenient.

so the second DC will still host the same domain as the first?

i only use one subnet at the moment as the network is not huge, do you mean they Should be in different subnets or in the same one? i would have thought the same on so they can still see each other...?

thanks for your help su!

First as su root mention you need diffrent subnets. When 2 netowrks have teh same Ip range and talking to each otehr via wan link it cause IP conflicts. Other main point is you cannot have a diffrent domain name in the branch office. SBS server will not support that and it si a limitaion in SBS server. You'll need to have a same domain name. (Eg. branch1.company.com) site replication will probably will eliminate some of your pain when sharing files.
If you have 2 routers (preferably same brand) you can create vpn link between the 2 routers. Dlink DFL -700 is a good one for this because setup process is so easy in there.
Group policy is always good option to use all the tiem because it's easy for you to mange everythign through that. If you need more assistance PM me. I'm also living in UK and we're generally handling SBS servers.

It is possible to have both sites on the same subnet. At the health system where I work two of our hospitals are on the same subnet. You just have to make sure your DHCP servers are not handing out the same range of IPs.

rrcoot said:
It is possible to have both sites on the same subnet. At the health system where I work two of our hospitals are on the same subnet. You just have to make sure your DHCP servers are not handing out the same range of IPs.
Using different IPs doesn't help in a routed environment. You can not route traffic directly between them if they are on the same subnet. If you just bridge it, then you have very little security, and you are transmitting all of the broadcasts on both of the networks across the WAN link. Cisco PIXes have a fairly complex way of NATing this so that it does work, but overall, it's a huge PITA. Just use different subnets for each location.

hi thanks for all your help guys,

i've since made two smoothwalls and i'm in testing stages between work and my house with smoothie's VPN.

thanks again for your, as always, good to the point responses su!

bubble, i'll be dropping you a pm!

cheers!

Back