• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cleaning cpu surface

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speedmonkay

After work today I plan on retubing my WC setup so I figured I would redo my AS-5, so there is no time to order something online to clean it. I know alot of people on here have all sort of last minute fixes and alternative solutions. So besdes my handy dandy paper towel, what else can be used to clean a processor's surface ?

I usuually use 99% isopropyl alcohol. 90% is good too. 70% works, but higher concentrations are refreable. You should be able to pcik some up at any place with a pharmacy/drug store.

Speedmonkay said:
what is this flash corrosion that AS says it prevents with its cleaners ? Do I have to worry about it using Iso. Alcohol ?
I have not heard of any corrosion issues with alcohol (the purer the better, though).

cleancpu.jpg

Squeaky Clean !!!

Yeah I forgot when you are overly generous with the AS-5 it can be a pain to get the block off. Twist to the left, twist to the right, twist to the left, twist to the right, pull. Repeat and repeat and repeat.
91% Iso. Alcohol did the trick just fine.

I need to do this to an XP chip also.

Alcohol is the only way to get chips clean.

Whether it be vid cards that got leaked on by a water loop or a mobo
that got something on it somehow.

Great Stuff!

:attn:

yeah I took out my vid card to clean the GPU I noticed blue all over the backside and on the tabs that slide into the slot from when I had a small leak when I first hooked it up. Alcohol cleaned all that up just fine.

:beer: Alcohol is your PC cleaning friend ! :beer:

Hmm Lighter fluid with a paper towel has been my choice for a year or so.It's alot quicker than 70% alcohol for as5.I just hope I'm not ruining my cpu's? lol.

No, but you may be getting some residue builduyp on your cpu that could inhibit cooling. I'm not so sure what is in lighter fluid. (Also, I really do sauggest higher purity alcohol)

Carb cleaner is an amazing substance. However, it too can leave a residue. I seriously doubt the residue left by it or goof-off would do much to temps, but it's something to consider. Another cleaning solution you can use is brake cleaner. I haven't used it myself, but it's supposed to be just about as good as carb cleaner, but without any residue (at least if I am remembering a thread from waaayyy back where Colin weighed in on various cleaners)

JigPu

JigPu said:
Carb cleaner is an amazing substance. However, it too can leave a residue. I seriously doubt the residue left by it or goof-off would do much to temps, but it's something to consider. Another cleaning solution you can use is brake cleaner. I haven't used it myself, but it's supposed to be just about as good as carb cleaner, but without any residue (at least if I am remembering a thread from waaayyy back where Colin weighed in on various cleaners)

JigPu

i use carb cleaner and brake cleaner interchangeably. i think the clean about the same. don't try to clean your shoes with them though. i did and it took off the whole layer of vinyl LOL :clap:

I use Non Chlorinated, residue free aerosol brake cleaner on a clean cotton rag. I guarrantee that it will clean better than anything else available and leave nothing behind. Contains no oils and evaporates very quickly. For cores and heatsink mating surfaces.

itshondo said:
I use Non Chlorinated, residue free aerosol brake cleaner on a clean cotton rag.

oh yea, i forgot about that stuff. i bet that would be better than the 'normal' cleaner.

I've never used contact cleaner to clean off TIM. That's what it's made for though.

Back