• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your biggest program?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
So I was sitting at work yesterday busy debugging an application I've been working on, and began to wonder just how big it was. After going through all the files, I came up with ~2500 lines including comments. It's far from an amazingly complex piece of software (basically a VLC front end to allow users to control specific IP cameras), but I'm still amazed at how much code I've written for it.

So, how about you guys? What's the longest program you've written (or were the majority coder of), and about how long was it?

JigPu

Not many on one program alone since I'm still learning.

Probably the biggest program i've made was a very basic opengl 3d engine about 2000 lines.. I also made a 2d-game which was about 2000 lines. This is still relatively small compared to typical programs. Usually anything with less than 100k lines is considered small. Programs you make all by yourself though are usually small.

The biggest program I've ever made was a Bulletin Board system written in PHP and MySQL well exceeding 4,000 lines, prolly about 10k, never calculated though.

My monsterous Math29 program written on my TI-83 in TI-Basic:
The thing is more mixed up than spaghetti =\
BIGPROG.jpg

Although my GUI-fied SudokuSolver is probably larger..

JigPu said:
So I was sitting at work yesterday busy debugging an application I've been working on, and began to wonder just how big it was. After going through all the files, I came up with ~2500 lines including comments. It's far from an amazingly complex piece of software (basically a VLC front end to allow users to control specific IP cameras), but I'm still amazed at how much code I've written for it.

So, how about you guys? What's the longest program you've written (or were the majority coder of), and about how long was it?

JigPu

About 24,000 lines of C including comments.

When I was a senior in college, seemingly back before electricity, I could write a 500 line program in Pascal or PL/1 in a day or two. Got a 'real' job... My first 'assigment' was to port about two million lines of FORTRAN from a Cyber to a VAX. Spent almost three years doing it... and was on time.

Probably around 10k. College assignment in C++ to make an assembler that would assemble C code into Intel Assembly language. I can't imagine how hard it'd be to make one for C++, considering classes/inheritence. Yuuck.

1500 lines of dos basic

It was a 4bit grapics program for a city backdrop with a boat going buy the screen, HS programing class

Its been awhile, but I belive that back in the olden days I had a BASIC program that listed a little over 800 lines. that was in the day of the Apple IIGS...

memories.. And it worked too, :clap:. The instructor was impressed that I got a largish amount of code (for a highschool learning project), to work as intended on the first or second try. If I remember correctly it was some sort of security program saved to the "hello" locale of the disk. So it would run apon boot, asking for a password that actually was masked instead of after a list and run command.

It was easy to bypass, but not many could figure it out.

Hmmm, I'm not sure how many lines my cancer simulator is. It depends if you add in the visualization code I wrote for it. :) -- Paul

My longest has been pacman, probrolly at least 1000.

next semester we need to make a network functional game, so that will easily be 5k+

Not very long. I have to deal with 58,229 lines according to MW for databases, but that's not a program.

Several hundred thousand lines of C for a 2D game engine and support code several years ago on my Mac. I never comment my own code unless I plan on someone else reading it, so comments are not included in that figure.

the content management system that im working on right now is at 8,330 lines of php code without comments, then theres an unknown amount of lines of html code thats stored in a mysql database for it.

Back