• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual CPU Cooler Concept..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rinne

Ok, so this concept was made by someone else on these Forums, I searched 3 days in a row and couldn't find his Thread again, so I'm making a new one here.

The concept he had was easy, yet effective, he taped 2 Case Coolers together in a certain angle and replaced the standard Fan with this constructuction, taped to the heatsink of course.

The results were a ca. 20°C lower on-Die temperature, according to him..

Anyways the cooler fell of because it was just taped to the heatsink, and thus the whole story got quite uneffective.

He did also not have a camera, so all he could supply were some drawings he made with paint (according to the looks of them).

If anyone knows his thread, or he sees this one it'd be great to post either a link to the thread, or if the author commented on this one.

Well, to the main topic:

I have spent the last 3 days in school during the more boring lessons and at home when I had time to sketch out, calculate and whatever (I've never sketched so much in my life before, neither did I ever use maths to calculate shapes and lenght's) was necessary to create a socket for a dual cooler fitting in my case and on my heatsink.

My heatsink has a 70x70mm fan attached to it which I want to remove and then replace with the socket. The socket itself has 2 connections for 80x80mm fans.

Only the socket has a height of 6,4cm a width of 8cm and a lenght of 10cm.
I had to tweak it a lot to get to these values, allowing me to use the socket without having to mod my case or remove any of my case coolers.

With the two fans added (I use 80x80mm Enermax Case Fans) the height raises to 8,5cm and the lenght is around 14,5cm
While my case allows a total height of around 11cm and a lenght of around 15-16cm without having to remove any case fan..

The socket will be built on a 21cm x 8cm x 1mm Aluminium plate.

So, now I'm writing a lot of maybe uninteresting stuff, and you want to see results...

Well, the socket has not been built yet, but I have already finished the concept, which was built in 3D to show off and to have an exact reference later.

This is all I can deliver for now, well here are the pictures.
The socket on it's own:

And the socket with coolers attached (Sorry for quite low detail, but this was for reference purpose only:

I do already have the aluminium plate here, but I still have to cut and taper it.

Right now it's a 310mm x 110mm x 1mm plate weighting around 200g
I expect it to weight less than 50g in the and, as most of the metal will be cut out.
Each of the 80mmFans weights 50g (including screws)
I expect the socket with Fans to weight around 150g or lower, which I think is still in a green area.

And last: What do I hope to have from this?
It's not only about the better cooling power (which I can use of course), but also for two other reasons:
-My CPU Fan is spinning at 4000rpm's and is not speed-adjustable. It makes a horrific noise, I can't let my PC run at night as the fan is too loud. Not even my 4 other coolers togegther make such a noise..
The Case Fans I use are speed adjustable, and at lowest speed (2000rpm) not noticeable. If I need the power anyways, I can boost them up to 3600rpm's each, which is very loud but very effective..
-I was just looking for a new way to mod my PC, and I think I found one, although the idea is not mine...

Just to show off, yet, I hope to start working on the plate soon, but can't promise any progress this week..

Regards----Rinne

Last edited:
I wonder how well that setup would perform on a watercooling rad. Instead of a shroud you could make one of those with sides on it that was sealed against the rad, that way you could get two fans on the rad while saving space. Hmm... :D

[edit]
Actually scratch that, with solid sides on the fans would simply fight each other in either oush or pull config. Even if you had identical fans I doubt it would improve anything. Bummer...
[/edit]

Put a divider in the middle so the fans can't interact with one another in either push or pull config. Put sides on thing too, of course.

For a rad, put fans on either side of a box that blasts air in or out both sides of a case, with the rad in the front of the case so you have fans perpendicular to the rad. Put 2 curved manifolds inside the box so 1) each side cannot interact with the other and 2) so you can get as close to laminar flow as possible. If the item you showed was taller with more room between the fans, you could do something similar there too, which would help if you have air being forced downward.

Sorry for not responding, but the project was quite a failure...

Here is the cooler setup, thanks for the "walltape" hint, it really improved cooling performance...

Now to the drawbacks:

-I couldn't get the CPU cooler off the heatsink, so I had it stuck in
-without the standard cooler activated the cooling was even worse than usually
-with the cpu cooler activated cooling was extremely loud and only performed about 2°C better than the standard system under load
-the constructions size caused movements of the heatsink when working in the case, that worried me most

The cooling results, taken during Burn-IN..
Programme to read temperatures was MSI Core-Center (always add 4-5°C as the values are set off)
Sensor was a board Sensor, as I tried, but can't read the On-Die Diode

Standard Cooling:
-51°C
Dual Cooler without standard Cooler:
-Shutdown at 55°C
Dual Cooler with standard Cooler: 49°C

Anyways, I finally made it to remove the standard cooler, but refuse to retry the construction, because of the heatsink movements...

Instead I taped one of the Enermax Coolers to the heatsink, getting pretty, pretty results:

Lowest speed:
50°C
Highest Speed:
48°C

My case has a special "Pipe" that can be applied to the casecooler above the CPU and leads the Air directly onto it's cooler..

Removing the protection grid of the CPU cooler and applying the pipe to the case cooler, it fits perfectly and creates a closed cooling application for the CPU (The rest of the system is still well-cooled though)

It does now refuse to go above 47°C, and even hardly reaches this value..

All tests have been made with 1.800VCore..

Due to Burning In's I am now even able to run it at 1.775V stable, and 1.750V for Burn-In's

I' looking forward to get the values for these voltages ;)

As soon as I have reached a max. temperature that makes me happy, I will go and optimnise for noise reduction..

[EDIT] O.K., that does it for me,
43°C at 1.750VCore 2480MHZ Core Clock

not too bad for a cheap 7€ standard heatsink and an AMD Athlon XP-M 2800+ (usually 2133MHZ)
Am now going for noise reduction [EDIT]

Last edited:
Back