• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

socket 478 xp-120 vs. big typhoon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alphagojo

Registered
Ok, I was talking to a guy I know and he mentioned he was just replacing his system and didn't know what to do with his old parts. My answer: ebay/forums. His answer: too much of a hassle. I asked him what he was selling and he told me: prescott 3.2e, ati 9700pro, mobo I don't know the specs to yet, case/psu, dvd-burner all for $150....pretty damn good deal. (And a pretty lazy seller)

The point is I know prescotts run really hot (and I will be overclocking it), and was wondering what the best socket 478 hsf is. I have been searching around and seen good things about both the Big Typhoon and xp-120. Advice on which to get, either these two or another?

Oh, one more novice question. What would be the best thermal paste to use for the same setup?

Thanks again.

I love the xp-120. very well made, excellent performance, piece of cake to install. I'm also cooling a 110W chip and it keeps it at 46C full load. I suspect the big typhoon could do a little better. I have found the xp-120 like to have a fan sucking through it, with fans near it exhausting out of the case for the best results.

You might want to try the scythe ninja, it is good if the case has good airflow front to back. That way, hot air coming off the heatsink will get moved out the rear exhaust quickly.

All three of those are excellent choices.

Whatever you end up with, use arctic silver 5 paste and follow the instructions on their site for the best results.

That is an insane deal for those parts, btw. :thup:

Back