• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cold bugged 955XE..What's up with that?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

proth

My 955 is definately cold bugged and it ain't the mobo cause that's been on DICE @ 6GHz, NP.

The PSU just blinks on for a second when trying to start and then shuts down. Starting warm boots fine, then the PSU shuts down as soon as the DI is put it. The rig boots and runs flawlessly under DI with a 631.?

Any ideas?

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
There's really nothing you can do about it, just give the 631 a go for 6ghz and leave your 955XE to single stage. :(.

Crap, I was hoping there was a secret trick that I didn't know about. Is it typical for coldbugging to shut down the PSU on startup like that??

Hopefully it'll work with the SS which should be 20-30c less.

Well, I havn't heard of the PSU responding like that, probably has nothing to do with the fact the CPU is coldbugged (to my knowledge). Yeah, that 955XE should do well under SS. Good luck with your 631 buddy :).

Wow, that would be a PITA. I've never heard of the PSU sympathetically shutting down though. Are you sure you didn't have the tube torqued too tight or anything like that...maybe shorting pins or something?

If it's just a cold boot problem (most that I hear about are), you can do like crime says to get it going, but if you have to reboot after that, you'll be waiting forever for it to warm up enough to boot up again :(

dont know if this will help, but when i had my SS on a 920/ASUS p5wd2-e i couldnt boot with evap temps < -35C... lights/fans for a split sec then NOTHING.

now if i booted while the evap was still > -35C it would boot fine and then i could go as low as i want once in windows (as low as my SS would go)

proth said:
Crap, I was hoping there was a secret trick that I didn't know about. Is it typical for coldbugging to shut down the PSU on startup like that??

Hopefully it'll work with the SS which should be 20-30c less.

might want to remove the temperature shutdown. it could be acting quirky.

Time4aMassiveOC said:
might want to remove the temperature shutdown. it could be acting quirky.

thats a good point...... doesn't the bios report temps in like 200C+ when temps are sub-zero? maybe its extra sensative on extreme chips?

Not all BIOSes have the thermal shut down option and ASUS definitely doesn't. I always turn off the CPU thermal control anyway, but my BIOS temp reading doesn't go under -15C on the CM or Presler...doesn't matter if it's really -25C or -65C.

oh well, just a thought..... i've never played with sub zero, so you guys would know better then i would.........

Hey ross....... about that 631........ :)

Hehe, some of the 631s are killers. I've seen plenty that smoke my 661's clocks...I mean maxed out board FSB with clocks to spare (450FSB x15 = 6.75GHz) just on DI, not even LN2. Crazy stuff, but even with all of that, no where near the benches of Merom/Conroe :D

Ross said:
Are you sure you didn't have the tube torqued too tight or anything like that...maybe shorting pins or something?(
I immediately thought that at first, remembering you had that problem. But tried it loose also.
Joe Camel said:
dont know if this will help, but when i had my SS on a 920/ASUS p5wd2-e i couldnt boot with evap temps < -35C... lights/fans for a split sec then NOTHING. now if i booted while the evap was still > -35C it would boot fine and then i could go as low as i want once in windows (as low as my SS would go)
Thanks Joe.. That's exactly what happens.. The only thing is after I started up warm, the PSU shut down a second after I dumped the DI in.
Gautam said:
On Yonah/Merom I start the container out empty, boot into Windows and then cool down.
Tried that but maybe I dumped too much DI in and need to sneak up on it. Besides that if it hangs, then I'm screwed waiting for it to warm. And when it warms, I notice frost builds up everywhere.
crimedog said:
try warm booting then adding ice (or lifting the tube if you're ghetto like me)... that sucks proth :cry:
Thanks CD, Lifting the tube blows...that really made a mess, exposed the socket to air and afraid to fry something like that

I'm thinking about a way to have a way to "control" the temperature, maybe with something that gets uncovered at the bottom of the tube or something. Really need control rods like in a reactor...Or maybe have a better way to lower/raise the bottom of the core above the IHS.

Oh, Another thing.. WTF is up with the Ceramique, It turns to concrete, Isn't it supposed to remain a little pliable? raising the tube cold also breaks the TIM bond and it never reseals when the tube is re-lowered.

EDIT: @ others, thanks for the tips, remember everything works fine with the 631, It's definately 955 related

Oh, Another thing.. WTF is up with the Ceramique, It turns to concrete, Isn't it supposed to remain a little pliable? raising the tube cold also breaks the TIM bond and it never reseals when the tube is re-lowered.
LOL, my tube gets welded to the proc. The only way I can get it off without waiting an hour is to let the DI run out, loosen/remove the mounting nuts/screws, crank the Vc and wait for the temps to reach > -10C to 0C or so. Once the tube is "free", drop the Vc and shut down...plenty of time, especially if the tube is still resting on the proc.

Back