• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Opteron 165 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

forlack

Registered
I'm building a gameing rig for my friend and I have seen the potential of the Opty 165. I'm hoping to do 2.7ghz on it. Do you think this is pretty easily attained on stock voltage for a not so decent stepping (just in case I am unlucky, Ive heard good steppings do about 2.8 stock) Another question is on Newegg the toledo 4400+ says it has 2000mhz HT while the Opty says 1000mhz. Is this just marketing and do they both have the same HT Bus speed? Ive heard that the 0pty is a Toledo core so are they have basically the same specs? Does the 4400 Overclock well? Is it a better bang for the buck than the Opty 165? Thanks guys.

Opteron is the same. so much confusion....same HTT

They are server chips, but a 939 is a 939 and will work in a homey application...........

most seem to hit 2.7 on stock or close to stock voltage.

personally, i have three opterons, i have no desire to go back to a single core CPU..........

go for it.

baldy

all current 939 are 2000HT(1000, 2000 effective)

everyone i've seen get an opty 165 from MONARCH LATELY are getting 2.8 on air, but i have seen VERY FEW get 2.7 on stock voltage, from anywhere, anytime

2.7 w/ a slight voltage bump is 90% sure to happen, as always(and especially w/ opties) get a good cooler, thermaltake Big Typhoon is what i'd recomend, but i'd recomend you buy a fan to replace the one it comes with

others might recomend the scythe ninja cooler, and others the tuniq tower 120

i and most here and everywhere will tell you the opty 165 is a much better bang for buck than the 4400+

also, if you can wait, am2 is around the corner, and the news gets better and better, and is about a month away, same with intel conroe, but it's not due till july

2.7 on stock volts is unlikely with a CCBWE. you would have a much better chance of hitting 2.7 stock on a CCBBE 0610DPMW, and from my results so far, an even better chance on a CCBBE 0615DPMW.

Thanks guys for clearing it up for me. I really like the Opteron 165 and I might go with it unless I wait for the new gen Chips. Thanks guys

One thing to watch out for. The CPU in my sig could go higher, but I'm running into limits on my MB chipset. I really can't go above 300 Mhz HTT speed at all. I can boot just fine, but i get errors while playing any games, but it'll run dual prime 95 for hours. I'm running this chip at 2.65 Ghz at just slightly above stock voltage. If my MB would allow me, I'm sure this chip could hit 2.8 very easily. I got mine 3 weeks ago from Monarch with the coupon they had going around. I would highly recommend getting one, especially if you can still find that coupon.

How about this opty 165 I just got?
9x300 = 2.7Ghz @ 1.344 Volts. :)

9x300.1.344V.JPG

It's a CCBBE 0610DPMW like another I have. I'm trying to decide what I wanna do w/ it.

Thats what I need. I was planning on running the Asus A8n Sli Premium. Is this not a good choice? Do they all hit a wall at 300 Ht? Whats the best SLi Overclocker that isnt too much money, maybe less than the 160 ill pay for the A8n. Newegg has one DFI Ultra-D for $112 it has most of the same features and I hear they are the best overclockers. Are they nice and stable too? Do you think I should go for that board instead?

Last edited:
forlack said:
Thats what I need. I was planning on running the Asus A8n Sli Premium. Is this not a good choice? Do they all hit a wall at 300 Ht? Whats the best SLi Overclocker that isnt too much money, maybe less than the 160 ill pay for the A8n. Newegg has one DFI Ultra-D for $112 it has most of the same features and I hear they are the best overclockers. Are they nice and stable too? Do you think I should go for that board instead?

The DFI NF4 Ultra D is a great choice. It can easily be modded to SLI & Is one of the most OC'able boards out there.. Or get the DFI SLI-DR or Expert for non-modded SLI Support. I have the SLI-DR and sometimes wish I had bought the Ultra D since I am not using SLI at the moment. Also, I hear good things about the Epox boards and Asrock.

Look around the AMD Mobo Forums for more info on the DFI, Epox & ASrock Boards.

Don't get the A8N-SLI premium... I'm not saying it's not a great board, but if you want to overclock, the DFI ultra-d IS a better choice, I know because I've tried both with all the same hardware.

Get some low voltage ram like G.SKILL PC4000 2x1GB ram modules along with your DFI board.. I've had pretty good results with them... they seem to be more stable at 2.5 volts then 2.6. :) On my asus board they crapped out quite low, because of board incompatability.

might as well flash the 704-2bta bios into your dfi board right away... it's about the best out there.

tankguys.biz allows you to select steppings for Opterons

They have a CCBBE 0615 for $367 ...those have been known to hit 3.0Ghz

Many ppl are having great luck with Monarch's OEM's in getting CCBBE 0610's ....mine did 2.7Ghz stock voltage...and I'm running 3.0Ghz with Water right now.

And I agree with stockwiz, get a DFI motherboard. I have the expert board, and think it's great.

Oh and I'll second the G.Skill PC4000 2x1GB modules (the HZ's) they are quite nice, especially for the price!

Back