• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need quick help with Samba and RedHat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FudgeNuggets

I don't know what the deal is but I'm self-learning red-hat and the install CDs I got with the book and the version that came with the book OBVIOUSLY DO NOT match up. I need to set up SAMBA to procede in the book but the book is telling me to edit inetd.conf files when the version that came with the book is not using inetd.conf but rather xinetd.conf. Problem is that there is an xinetd.conf directory under /ETC/ so I figure it's no installed and do a /mnt/cdrom/SRPMS/rpm -ivh xinetdwhateverblah.rpm and it installs a single file but there is nothing different in the xinetd.conf directory. I NEED to edit this file per the book to get SAMBA working but am lost..... :confused:

what version of redhat does the book describe and what version of RH are you using? RH is about the worst distro for starting with linux right now: it costs sevreal hundred dollars and is geared towards enterprise usage only

Ok, I'm just convinced this book and this CD are F-ed up. I do a rpm -q samba and it says samba is not installed so then I do a rpm -ivh samba* and it installs ONE file. I reboot, go back to rpm -q samba and it still says not installed. I guess I'm just going to have to download a Samba package someplace else. I wonder if this book is garbage? It's Linux 15hr Crash Course by Naba Barkakati. I've also got Red Hat Linux and Fedora by Bill McCarty too.

Should I download and install a different RPM for Samba and continue with this book or just write this book off as trash seeing as how I a total NOOB have caught 2 mistakes (Xine vs inetd and the bad Samba package on the CD)????? :confused: :mad:

After I get the RedHat thing down, I've got a couple of SUSE books too. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll be developing some stuff, although I suck in C/C++/C#.

Well, what about trying to unpack the rpm and do the installation manually? I've been made to understand that rpm's and deb's are just another archive format, albeit just a little special. That's what I did with a deb I got, before I found out I could manually install it with dpkg -i

ponkan pinoy said:
Well, what about trying to unpack the rpm and do the installation manually? I've been made to understand that rpm's and deb's are just another archive format, albeit just a little special. That's what I did with a deb I got, before I found out I could manually install it with dpkg -i

I'm just learning this stuff. I have absolutely no idea how to go about doing that.

If you're on a GUI you might be able to do some variant of [right-click] -> open with other application -> (GUI archive manager). On my system it's file-roller, that might work for you. Otherwise, downloading an alternate Samba rpm should hopefully work.

First of all you should start off with a different distro. If you were new to windows, would you start with win98SE? Cause that's what you are basically doing.
If you don't have broadband, let ubuntu mail you a CD for free.

You may be right, but I started with RedHat and SUSE because that's what is used in corporate environments and that's why I'm learning, not just to buck the system AKA MicroSoft.

Then download fedora, centos or opensuse cause learning to use win98SE equivalents makes you really popular in the enterprise of today...

FWIW, you can probably apply a lot of the lessons in the books you have.

I taught myself everything out of books when I first started. None of that knowledge has become obsolete.

RH 7.1 is a really old version. Actually I think that was my first linux install. I never could get it to work right. Iwas was another year until I tried again.

Back