• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slight problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh547

I finaly got my dvd burner back from newegg's rma and burnt pclinuxos to a disk and ran the live cd. it went well and it seems to work alright however i had two problems

First
i download the nvidia verson but at higher resolutions (about 800*600) i could only see part of the screen (the top left corner). Will this be fixed by installing it to disk

Second
I could not connect to the net. i set everything up (get ip automaticly and all) but it just wouldnt connect.

I'd recommend doing the install, then changing the resolution in the PCLinuxOS Control Center. You can also change the resolution using the LiveCD.

As far as connecting to the net, are you using the mobo's LAN to high speed? You may have to select the driver in the control center.

I'd try the LiveCD again, with the ethernet hooked uo and see what happens.

ok the res. problem was fixed (driver problem).

i installed pclinuxos to my harddrive like so
Winblow --> 20gb
/--> 20gb
swap -->5gb
/home-->10gb

Sound good? (i know nothing i am just trying to work with what i have read)

i still have the network problem (or lack there of). it reconizes my onboard card but will not connect to either my router or directly to my dsl modem?

/ is pretty big too for a binary based distro since you have s separate /home. All the data you ever create or have will be normally in /home. Unless you do want to host websites with 10-15GB of data or mail spools that large.

Try the Networking section of the PCLinuxOS Control Center. Select "Reconfigure an existing network interface" and see if your LAN is properly identified. If not, select it from the list of available LANs.

If you don't see you LAN listed, then in Networking, select "Create a new network interface" and look for your LAN there.

i am not home right now but as i remember when i go into PCLinuxOS's control center and go the network configure it does come up with "eth0" and i have it setup to get the ip from the dhcp server... maybe i will try giving it a static ip and subnet. anyways when i go into the "manage connections" from the control center and click connect it will sit there for awhile saying "connecting" then it tells say "unable to connect use mandriva control center" or someting to that effect.

Have you verified that the network adapter eth0 has a IP address and subnet mask?

Try posting the output of ifconfig

apparently the module(m5263) has problems with my current kernel. But i have no clue how to update the kernel. someone on pclos said that mandriva 5.6.15 fixed the problem but i can only find 5.6.13 this is what he said

Which kernel are you on? I've read reports that using the 2.6.15 kernel in Mandriva fixes issues with the M5263 controller.

however i did find my 10m/s pci card that i am using right now (i am on linux lol) but i would like to get the onboard working

Last edited:
I would use the Synaptic Software Manager to update the system as soon as possible.

It will tell you that you need to run the update/reload the first time you run it.

Then, after downloading the upgradable packages, select "Mark all upgrades" and the select apply.

Synaptic will then install / update your current packages, possibly even installing the support for your NIC.

Another thing I would do while Synaptic is running is to update the latest video drivers. For Nvidia, select search, then Nvidia- I'd recommend installing the latest 8178 drivers as they work very well. If you are using an ATI card, search and install the latest ATI drivers.

If you fail to get the onboard NIC working by now, I'd suggest you try the gurus at the PCLinuxOS forum, as the developers actually respond to request for assistance.

Here's the link to the forum - http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php

Last edited:
Back