• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3500+ Winnie & Asus A8N-E OC Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

icedragn

I'm having a major problem with the divider on my board, at any overclock my memory stays running 1:1 with the cpu, now, no where in my bios options is there a "divider", but there is a memory mhz setting, ranges from 266 to 600 in 33mhz increments. The following crashes:

2.53ghz - 230x11@Autovoltage (setting it myself seems to fail to boot :|)
memory mhz is set to auto, so at those settings the memory is running at 460mhz, so it obviously crashes if you bench it or use anything memory intensive, such as superpi. Now i changed it from auto mhz to 400mhz, thinking that will lock the memory to 400mhz effectively, which it doesn't, it's the same thing and is running at 400mhz, so now im thinking that 400 = "1:1", so i try 333mhz, system wont even boot, just crashes saying bla bla bla something is corrupt (even tho nothing is).

I'm not using the latest bios however, im using 1010, latest is 1013. Anyone have any tips on overclocking with the A8N-E? I'm going to google for things tomorrow, but i'd like some first hand advice if anyone has any, thanks.

CPU Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2ghz S939
Winchester Core, Rev. DH8-D0

Memory Specs:
OCZ DDR400 Premium Memory 2.5-3-3-7 (dual channel value pack, aka bargain bin ram)

Mobo:
ASUS A8N-E
Bios 1010
Rev. 2.xx

Tried taking out 1 stick of ram or just swapping the slots? i had similiar sounding problems with my mobile xp was dodgy stick of ram, no experience with that motherboard though so cant really help much.

Those numbers, DDR400, 333, and 266 are effectively dividers. If the speed is kept @ stock, the dividers indicate the speed the memory will run at.

The dividers on the A8N-E are TotalCPUspeed/X number.

Of course, once you OC, the numbers of the dividers won't be the same as the speed the RAM is running @.

Set it to div. 333, and you should have good headroom.

dan

My specs are - 294x9 (2655)
Mem div- 333mhz (after OC mem runs @ 241 mhz)
HTT 294 x 4
Vcore 1.55
Vmem- 2.90

just try deferant bios version and memory deverinder setting.
i had pretty similar issue with my mobo using 1004 bios and 1003. it just fail to boot or rest it self.
with 1007 thi s was another storie,overclock became more stable.
rememneber to tweak your max asnyc latency and read preamble or just try to set borth to 7x and post back result

When i get some more time to fool around i will play with it, right now im being lame and using the built in 10% o/c, so it's running at [email protected] 2.42ghz, mem @ 440mhz, runs games and superpi fine, have yet to torture test it with prime95.

I have another question aswell, this time about Prime95... how come sometimes it fails and sometimes it doesnt? like i ran it overnight and some hours today, maybe like 14 hours or stressing on the blend torture test. Passed without errors, but now i went to try it again and it failed after a minute, weird... it did this before too, does this just mean it's not fully stable or that prime95 isnt always right?

Your BIOS version is fine--no need to mess with that for now (newer BIOS versions mostly add support for newer CPU cores). Dan0512 mentioned the reason why you are having difficulty: The DDR400 setting keeps the memory running at the same speed as the FSB. So if you run 230x11 it will run memory at 230 Mhz (DDR460). However, if you change the divider setting to DDR333, it will run your memory at *approximately* 5/6 of the FSB speed, so you could run 240x11 and your memory would only be running at 200 MHz (DDR400). Think of it this way: the divider ratios are listed with respect to the stock speed of DDR400. So DDR400/DDR400 = 1/1. DDR333/DDR400 = 5/6. DDR266/DDR400 = 2/3. And so on...

Back